Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion a6030
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi,

I have this 12 years old desktop PC that to my surprise, insists on keeping working smoothly.

The original 1GB of RAM has been upgraded with an additional 2GB right at the start and in time, Windows 10 (32-bit) was installed on a new HDD to replace the Windows Vista edition that came with the PC.

I recently thought of yet another upgrade option and that is an SSD.

The obvious way to go (it seems) is to get a SATA interface type SSD and connect it to an on-board SATA connector.

This is probably going to work but since this board (P5LP-LE [Leonite]) incorporates a SATA revision 1.0, I can only get a 150 MB/s transfer rate that might not be such a great improvement.

Instead I thought maybe I could use the on-board PCI Express x16 slot with an M.2 SSD to PCIE 3.0 X16 Adapter. This will theoretically support a much higher transfer rate.

I remember something about this slot is designed for a graphics card and I'm not sure there's any support in the BIOS for booting the system from it so I guess my question to the forum is:

• Does anyone thinks it can work? Better yet,
  • Does anyone have any experience with such an upgrade?

Thanks,

Amir

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

That is an old system.  While it may work as desired, it might not support being able to boot from the SSD.  As you research that problem, I would consider using an PCIExpress X1 adapter to a faster SATA port with the ability to support boot options.  There might be more reliable choices for that.  Then use a SATA SSD instead.  I doubt you would notice any speed differences between those two choices, as the M.2 VS SATA SSD speed would not be noticeable on a system that old.  Actually

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

That sounds reasonable.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.