Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
P6754y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am upgrading my RAM to 8gb and want to upgrade my gpu as well...ill be upgrading the power supply to a 500 or 600 watt as well. 
so my questions is what gpu’s can i upgrade to?  Under$100....there has to be SOMETHING that is under $100 thats better than whats in there, right??  Doesnt matter what brand...i just want a gpu that will be compatible with my pc(p6754y). 
thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes.

You need a PCI Express x16 video card

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your PC has a legacy BIOS, you cannot install any graphics card newer than one of the Nvidia GT6xx models or an AMD Radeon HD 6xxx model.

You would probably have to find one of these cards on eBay in used but tested and working condition.

I don't believe you can find one new anymore.

HP Recommended

Would i be able to remove the existing radeon hd4200 and just replace it? Or is it attached to the motherboard...so i would have to use a pci express gpu?  Ive been looking at a couple different ones...some are pci express and some arent...

HP Recommended

The  Radeon HD 4200 GPU is soldered to the motherboard.

Your PC's motherboard has a PCIe x16 slot that supports an add on-video card.

When you install a video card, the onboard Radeon HD 4200 GPU is automatically disabled in the BIOS.

See the link below for a picture of your PC's motherboard.

The video card slot is the long black slot that is shown vertically in the picture, kind of on the upper left quarter.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02560084

HP Recommended

Ok. But whatever gpu i end up deciding on, HAS to be a pci express, right? Because ive notcied some gpu’s say pci express and then some dont....please excuse my ignorance...im not computer savvy AT ALL. lol. 

HP Recommended

Yes.

You need a PCI Express x16 video card

HP Recommended

Ok. Thank you so much!!  

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.