Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi I was considering buying a third party hp slice to use as a media PC as well as run a modded Minecraft server. The spec I saw was i5 6500t, 16 GB ram, 256 SSD and I was wondering if since it's a desktop CPU if I could get a newer processor that fits the same socket with similar power draw (another T processor) if it would work. My main goal of a newer CPU would more more media codec support hopefully for less encoding. My current system i have running this setup is an i7 2600k so having something with a lot less power draw would be super nice. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

hi

there are several possible configurations / models

HP Elite Slice Specifications

Intel Core i3-6100T with Intel HD Graphics 530

Intel Core i3-6300T with Intel HD Graphics 530

Intel Core i5-6500T with Intel HD Graphics 530

Intel Core i5-6600T with Intel HD Graphics 530

Intel Core i7-6700T with Intel HD Graphics 530

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi,

the Elite Slice can run some i7-7700T at max.
The G1 version normally comes either via 6th or 7th gen Intel CPU, and just supports those T processors.
Some state that the one with 7th Gen is G2, but chassis and rest is same G1 (even on internal HP labels).
The G2 version is normally the business/meeting variant, however technically there isnt much difference besides some specific components which doesnt matter in your case.

From my view, some upgrade from 6500T to 7700T doesnt really makes sense, given the fact that the 7700T is rare and mostly pretty expensive. The plus on performance isnt worth it, since your 2600k is still as fast as 7700T (think about it!).
If you have some nice offers (ebay etc) for the CPU, well, up to you.
In my region this CPU atleast would cost more than some used Elite slice with default config, upgrade would be quite nonsense.

The HP Elite Slice is some nice looking beauty and rest of specs (16GB) do look fine. so maybe the i5 is enough for your use case.
May make sure its some NVMe SSD, luckily this model has those newer assets, same with TPM2.0.

As alternative, I suggest you some used Pro or EliteDesk with like 8-10th Gen Intel CPU, its wise to stick here with Micro format and T-Processors.
Those models may dont have such cool Bang and Olufsen Audio module to make it some media PC, but maybe you have some spare speakers around.
This also gives you full compatibility to Windows 11, even HP Elite Slice can run it well.

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

@Prométhée wrote:

hi

there are several possible configurations / models

HP Elite Slice Specifications

Intel Core i3-6100T with Intel HD Graphics 530

Intel Core i3-6300T with Intel HD Graphics 530

Intel Core i5-6500T with Intel HD Graphics 530

Intel Core i5-6600T with Intel HD Graphics 530

Intel Core i7-6700T with Intel HD Graphics 530

yeah it's all there

options may vary depending on model

hence the request!!

and it would be just as well to get the right model directly according to the needs
16 GB ram, 256 SSD ..
will this be enough, a 256 gb ssd fills up quickly

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.