Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@Glodeo,

1) I would use the Lazesoft Recovery program to attempt to fix/repair the drive.

2) If you need to remove the drive to copy off the Data file, here is an enclosure.  This also would work

3) Removing the hard drive text and video

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi, I plugged in the thumb drive with the Lazesoft Rec. and started the comp and nothing different, started then inserted the drive and still nothing different, how does one initiate the program on the drive to work. Will I have to remove the hard drive first then use the thumb drive?

THanks

HP Recommended

Ok, after you downloaded the Lazesoft .exe file then click on it to install the file. Start the program and the first menu item is create a USB/CD disk. The program will create a bootable USB drive. Now to help with the how to boot portion of the process this page from Lazesoft should help. You may have to change the boot order in the BIOS or easier yet, use the boot menu key which is usually F12 when the system first boots. I would suggest using the boot menu key as it means you cannot make a mistake with a BIOS setting. Hopefully I have not repeated any of the steps you already have completed. Also make sure you insert the USB drive before you start the computer. And no you should not remove the hard drive.

HP Recommended

Good Morning JJOCEAN, thank you so much for being on here this morning. I appreciate you! I clicked on the LRP on the thumb drive and started the install and it came up with a a red X box that said The procedure entry point InitonceExecuteonce could not be located in the dynamic linc library KERNAL32.dll.

HP Recommended

Just to be sure I understand. Did you install the program on your hard drive and then run the program from there to create a bootable USB drive? You should not have to click on anything on the USB drive.  So download the program to your hard drive, then install on the hard drive, then run the program on the hard drive to create the USB drive.

HP Recommended

I installed it on my laptop then tried to download it to the usb drive. I will have to remove the hard drive first right? I am sorry, I know nothing about the inside of a computer but I will try!

HP Recommended

Maybe it's best if I start over so I understand what you are attempting to do. You have a laptop that is working (or is it) and you want to copy the drive from the old laptop to a new laptop...am I correct? I just want to be sure we are on the same page here. And you could pull the old drive , put it in an enclosure, and then using a program such as Lazesoft  copy or clone the old drive to the new one. Am I correct so far? I have to admit I am a bit lost on the sequence of what you are doing. Not your fault, just want to be clear.

And to make it a bit clearer have a look at this video as it may answer a few questions you may have.

HP Recommended

Hi, sorry for all the confusion.... I am using my husbands laptop to send you these messages. I have a Compaq Presario CQ5000 desktop that I am trying to fix. It will not boot to anything except the F2, F8, F9, F10 and F11 and in those places where it says it will load the files, it does no do anything except go black. There is no way I can even get to the internet from that computer so I downloaded the Lazysoft to the laptop that I am on now and was trying to opwn it on the flash drive. I got as far as where in the video you sent me the guy clicked launch  but on mine it did not get that far, it stopped at what I said in the last note and would not load. I have a feeling I will just have to forget about fixing the Compaq and get a different desktop.

HP Recommended

Great! Now my light bulb just went on. After reading that, it may be a lost cause as your hard drive in the desktop may be failing or has failed. On a 10 year old system that is more than a possibility. And you may have a point as that is quite an old system in computer years. And assuming it has Windows 7 or 8 (both of which are no longer supported) it is a security risk for viruses and hacking. In that case my first reply on page one would be appropriate which is a couple of suggestions for a new desktop.

As for transferring files from the old drive (I would not clone the drive as a new system would have Windows 10), this Intel page has some suggestions as does this page as well. And as for backing up files and drives try this program, Macrium Reflect Free. Very user friendly and a ton of support videos and documents on the web.

I hope this helps out as I finally understand your predicament...sorry for the confusion.

HP Recommended

@JJOcean,

Nice of you to join in.

@Glodeo,

What is the exact model number of this Comapq CQ5000 series unit.  You need to get those files off the hard drive. That involves removing the hard drive, and using one of the adapters I did mention.  You got to get that data off the drive.

Now for the hard decision:

1) If you want to keep this unit,  the upgrade cost is RAM ($57), WIN 7 ($27)  new hard drive ($31-$60) depends on GB size and quality.

2) Next step is your choice.  You can go here, and call them.  They sell re-install WIN 7 disks for $27.  You must know the exact model number, example CQ5700f        example of their product for this exact model

3) From there, you get a fresh WIN7.   Then you download the free WIN 10.

I am still here for you. I was just busy elsewhere.  Sorry.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.