Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ5000
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi everyone, since there is no help for fixing my computer what is the next best thing to do. Should I upgrade to Windows 10  and which computer is the best bet for that option?

Thanks,

Glodeo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Glodeo,

Shut down machine, pulled power cord, remove side panel, and swap out the RAM.   Here are pictures.  Put it all back together then reboot to test. Then your ready to upgrade to win 10.

Use the "Download tool now".   The file will download into your download folder. Follow the instructions for "upgrade this PC to Windows 10"  click to show more.   Read it.  Skip the part about Product Key.  it will pickup the Key.  Start the file in the download folder.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended

If you are buying a new system than it will have Windows 10 64 bit installed. Windows 7 support ended in January. Now it depends what you are doing with the system. For instance do you do much gaming then in that case possibly the HP Pavilion 790-0029 would be a good choice. But if you are doing Internet browsing, social media, word processing, then the HP Pavilion 595-p1009 might be a good choice as you can upgrade the video on it later if you need to. I usually advise friends to always buy more system than you think you need right now as you will be happy down the line when you don't need to upgrade.

HP Recommended

@Glodeo,

I believe you own a CQ5000 series computer circa 2010.

You could temporarily remove the hard drive, and use an external enclosure,  SATA drive to USB3.0,  to copy data files to another computer.

A recovery program called Lazesoft Recovery can be burned to an .iso file, if the unit will boot from a CD/DVD. That might fix the issues, if not, you could try to install WIN 10.iso overtop the corrupt WIN 7.

Spamming the entire forum with numerous counter productive messages across notebook to desktop? 🙄

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Windows-7-will-not-boot/m-p/7501920

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Windows-7-will-not-boot/m-p/7506477

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Need-Win-7-Download-from-HP/m-p...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/PLEASE-HELP-cannot-boot-computer/m-p/7506769

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your time here! Sorry for my misuse of the platform, I am a newby here and I am a bit frantic to get my computer running as I have an ebay business and cannot get to it except for using my husbands laptop. I am not computer savy and don't know the language like you all do but then that is why you are here...right! Anyway, I will try what you have suggested if I can figure it out! You all are the best and I am thankful your on at HP to help us Dummies! I guess I should only include myself in that as being Dummies. Thank you again!

HP Recommended

No dummies in here only thoughtful questions. Feel free to visit the forum at any time for any help with your PC!

HP Recommended

Oh thank you so much JJOcean, I truly appreciate your kindness! Thank you for all that you do for everyone, a true gem!

Blessings!

Glodeo

HP Recommended

Thanks! We are all here to help each other in any way we can.

HP Recommended

@Glodeo,

I will assist you as much as I can.

Your not a Dummy, just a tad frantic on the issue. I was trying to solidify your inquires, keeping it alive in only one forum, and spread helter-skelter across many different forums.  In that sense, I was helpful.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you, I sure feel like a dummy with this computer stuff but I am happ that I am learning some much needed info and am actually doing it myself with instruction from you guys! I have downloaded the Lazesoft Rec Home Version to a thumb drive and am studying how the SATA drive to USB3.0 works. I will have to purchase one first. Your help is greatly appreciated!

HP Recommended

Happy Thursday, so, is the Lazesoft Recovery to try before I remove the hard drive or before and should I get the

external enclosure before I remove the HD or can I try what you suggest before I get one? I read about the enclosures but it did not tell me much about how to remove the internal. All I have ever done inside the tower is blow out the dust and unsnap and resnap the memory card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.