Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-030
Microsoft Windows 11

I ran Microsoft Windows 11 PC Health Check and it determined that my CPU actually doesn't support windows 11 installation. I have to upgrade my CPU, but I am not sure what model of CPU is compatible with my desktop.

I have an OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 880-030 with Windows 10 Home 64 bits. My CPU is AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor (which is not actually supported by Windows 11) and motherboard is 8309 1.0

Can you help me to determine what CPU can I buy to meet the requirements whithout changing the rest of the computer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JBrusco -- is this your computer: OMEN by HP 880-030 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

That web-page lists:

Processor upgrade information

• TDP: up to 95 W
  • Socket type: AM4
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    AMD Ryzen7-1800X (Summit Ridge) 3.6 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
    95 W
    AMD Ryzen7-1700 (Summit Ridge) 3.0 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1600 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 6 cores/12 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1400 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 4 cores/8 threads
    65 W

You will have to check MIcrosoft's list of compatible processors, to see if any of the above processors support Windows 11. Note that your current processor is the "1700".  To me, it seems like the "1400" and the "1600" will be much slower than your current "1700", leaving you just one choice -- the "1800X" -- that is only 20% faster than your current processor, and probably is expensive to purchase.

Microsoft will support Windows 10 until October 2025 -- almost 4 years away.  So, stay with Windows 10, and make a long-term plan to buy a new computer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@JBrusco -- is this your computer: OMEN by HP 880-030 Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

That web-page lists:

Processor upgrade information

• TDP: up to 95 W
  • Socket type: AM4
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    Processor
    TDP
    AMD Ryzen7-1800X (Summit Ridge) 3.6 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
    95 W
    AMD Ryzen7-1700 (Summit Ridge) 3.0 GHz, 8 cores/16 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1600 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 6 cores/12 threads
    65 W
    AMD Ryzen5-1400 (Summit Ridge) 3.2 GHz, 4 cores/8 threads
    65 W

You will have to check MIcrosoft's list of compatible processors, to see if any of the above processors support Windows 11. Note that your current processor is the "1700".  To me, it seems like the "1400" and the "1600" will be much slower than your current "1700", leaving you just one choice -- the "1800X" -- that is only 20% faster than your current processor, and probably is expensive to purchase.

Microsoft will support Windows 10 until October 2025 -- almost 4 years away.  So, stay with Windows 10, and make a long-term plan to buy a new computer.

HP Recommended

Hello
Warning

Windows 11 on devices that don't meet minimum system requirements 
We risk having serious problems, probably updates, security problems, we do not really know what else

If the installation goes well for some, for others it can be complicated
go back to windows 10 - HP Support Community - 8200306

my laptop isnt coming on after i take it off - HP Support Community - 8238058

Re: [OMEN 17t-cb000] Windows 11 not fully compatible with BI... - HP Support Community - 8173257

Re: desktop will not boot up after attempted windows 11 upgr... - HP Support Community - 8237646

HP icore5, and generation, windows 11 installed now it won't... - HP Support Community - 8238507

Hp also might not provide any update:

HP PCs – Support for Windows 11 | HP® Customer Supportbr>

Think carefully, before taking the risk, see the experiences of other users, see if it can be interesting, or if you can wait to have a new computer later, 100% compatible!
Windows 10 remains one of the best systems, and can be used for quite a while.

I have performed the installation with a compatible computer ..
And I can not take full advantage of the more or less interesting features, because you have to have a certain material
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications
So far, so there is nothing extraordinary about this system
So if the computer is not compatible, you have little interest in using it ..
In some cases, we can have more problem than something else (performance etc), it is better to wait until most of the bugs are solved.
And even better to have a 100% compatible computer, in order to be able to take advantage of the available features
Now, if you want to give it a try, first plan to use specialized software, and make a ghost copy of your installation.

https://docs.microsoft.com/fr-fr/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-amd-...

Unless I am mistaken, you will not be able to have a compatible processor and this is certainly not your only problem!
@Paul_Tikkanen  can certainly tell you how to install it , if you want to use windows 11 anyway.
If you have the possibility, try with another system disk, it's even better than a backup

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi, @JBrusco 

Your PC cannot be upgraded to meet the W11 hardware requirements.

You can install W11 on your PC, but only if you use some tricks to bypass the W11 hardware checks, because your PC does not meet the minimum W11 hardware requirements.

I can give you two easy ways to upgrade to W11 if you are interested in trying it out.

HP Recommended

That's a very good advise. I certanly will do this. Thank you very much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.