Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6347C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ram upgrade.  I wannnnna add 16 GB (2 8gb) but PC only sees 8gb, What slots should I use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @RJLB!

I saw that you put the sticks back in, but I want you to only install one stick in the 1st slot to see if that makes a difference.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@RJLB 

The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c01975707

It supports 1 GB, 2 GB, and 4 GB DDR3 DIMMs per socket and its motherboard

You have to install RAM in pair, one on blue socket and one on black socket.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I removed the 8gb and put the 6 gb back.  now the pc turns on but no moniter.

I took the mem back to best buy and got a full refund!   But they do not have the mem for this pc.  I was told to try their on line store.

I need to search for a fix.   Puting in the wrong mem hasturned off my moniter.

Thanks for your help with this.

HP Recommended

@RJLB, here is the memory that is recommended by Crucial Memory:  https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-p6347c

Crucial is the retail division of Micron.  They make very good products.

Also, you may want to consider buying one of their SSD's for a boot drive.  It will make a major difference in system performance; especially boot times!

HP Recommended

I do not know what a ssd is 

The pc is not working at this time.  

I put the 2gb sticks back .....

The pc turns on BUT there is no video .... monitor is dark ....

Did I wipe out this motherboard by inserting the wrong ram??

I have no clue what to try next ....

HP Recommended

@RJLB, I suggest that you remove all of the memory and install one of the original modules in the first slot closest to the processor.  Then, boot the system to see what happens.

HP Recommended

did that see prev message

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @RJLB!

I saw that you put the sticks back in, but I want you to only install one stick in the 1st slot to see if that makes a difference.

HP Recommended

I did put 1 2gb in slot 1.

DT PC is on with the monitor.

Thanks.

You said earlier to get a ssd.  

I do not know what that is, or where.

Can I order that when I order the right ram where you suggested?

What is next now that my monitor is back.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @RJLB!

I am glad that you have your computer working.  I suggest that you contact Crucial's Tech Support for help with choosing the correct memory.  You can use the link that I provided in my original post.

A Solid-State Drive (SSD) has no disks inside of it.  It is all memory chips.  They are much faster than a Hard Drive Disk (HDD).  If you look at the bottom of the page in the link that I provided to Crucial's memory you will see the SSD's that are recommended for your computer.  You will have to replace your HDD.  Here is a guide to explain what a SSD is:  https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-solid-state-drive-definition,5763.html

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article to help you upgrade from a HDD to a SSD:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Upgrading-Desktop-or-Laptop-to-a-SSD/ta-p/73048...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.