Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7 1050l
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,everyone.

I have hp pavilian p7 1050l

Cpu intel core i 5 2500

Old gpu ati hd 6450

Psu 300w

Bios version ami 7.15

I would like to upgrade my own pc for gaming so I buy GTX 660 from https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/A-fast-graphic-card-for-gaming-...

Buy when I put gtx 660 I cannot open my pc it shows NO VIDEO SIGNAL.and beep sound but i dont count it so I break to buy new psu 500w .what should I do for fix this issue?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Did you buy and install a 500 watt power supply? You need to upgrade the factory installed power supply.

The 660 should work. The 660 needs a six pin supplemental PCIe connection from the power supply to the graphics card.

Did you uninstall previous graphics drivers before installing the 660?

Are you connecting your monitor to the correct 660 video out port?

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you.

I don't buy and install new PSU.I would like to sure GTX660 is match PC before buy it.

I  don't uninstall previous graphics drivers. 

I am connecting right port.

It is impossible to check Compatibility by not install new PSU. is it?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're very welcome.

The 660 should provide video if it fits in your case and motherboard.

But you also need a 500 watt or better power supply with a six pin PCIe connection from the power supply to the graphics card.

You should also remove the current graphics drivers before installing the 660.

Regards

HP Recommended

Beep codes (the pattern tells you more) are generated by the motherboard BIOS and are independent from the operating system, it doesn't matter at that stage if you have removed previous drivers.

The clue is in the acronym Basic Input/OUTPUT System. The BIOS has detected that there is no output device (i.e. A display port) it can access to present detailed error messages, it has to resort to the beeps to tell you (historically a serial printer was the other type of "output" device)

As has been suggested you need to make sure the graphics card has any supplemental power connectors populated. The AGP connector cannot drive the GPU in full power mode. During boot the output power of the PSU is not critical as in boot mode and just running the Windows Desktop the card would not demand its rated power

HP Recommended

@Bkk-123,

Everything that @Grzwacz said is correct. 

Your existing PSU does not have the required 6 pin PCIEx16 power plug.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

thank you but bad news,I  change psu 500 watt but I cannot into windows or bios panel it freezes in HP logo. what is wrong?what should I do next?😟😟😟

HP Recommended

1st thing to do is undo ALL changes and make sure the system will still boot as normal.

Then make one change and test (replace PSU).

Then swap GPU and test again.

At what point does it fail?

The fact that it displays the logo means the BIOS can see the output device.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Where did you get the 660? Have you verified the 660 was in working order at purchase?

Did you uninstall graphics drivers?

Remove the 660.

Connect the monitor to onboard Intel graphics.

Check the system again. The PC should POST using generic Windows graphics drivers if you have removed Intel Graphics drivers and/or AMD graphics drivers.

Something in the upgrade process may need to be modified, the 660 is faulty, or you have a problem with the x16 slot connection on the motherboard.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Bkk-123,

@Grzwacz  has an excellent plan. Leave the 500W PSU installed.

Special note: If the power cord is attached, there will be voltage to the motherboard.  It is extremely important that you remove the power cord after turning off the computer and re-attach it ONLY after internal work is complete.  FAILURE to do so can damage the motherboard.

1) Revert back to the HD card, and it should boot-up.  It if does boot, that is the issue. You forgot to remove the HD software and driver, but you have to do it while it still has the HD card installed. Then power down and remove the HD card.

2) With no HD card, and using the onboard DVI-I or HDMI motherboard graphic capability,  turn on the computer. The unit should boot, and that would verify the 500W PSU is working. Then power down and install the GTX (660) card.

3) RE-start the computer. The GTX should boot, and then you install the GTX software and driver.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.