Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 8300 Elite SSF

dmb10623-w1711-1.jpgNormally it should have 1/4 length of x16. All contacts are in places, so why and what for this slot have same length as x16?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

2nd guess

I guess the question is why is the white slot physically x16 but is not wired, x16 (nothing new here )

counting the pins  from the top  is useless,  only what is wired in copper PCB traces matter, to the chipset matters.

why? well some other boards fit this better.

let me explain if you look at all boards sold what do you see, well in fact some are x16 physical and card is x8 wired. or x4.

see? and more, that is there call the board makers even to gain longer needed card and fits best in long slots, and speed is not the key factor or need, like USB cards or SATA cards, or wifi cards or Ethernet cards and lost more, .sound cards. and more.

it is in fact more versatile   so long as not putting fast GPU card there, and it will fail or run like a slug, (snail)

NO warranty answers by me.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I do not understand this question  (no usage stated at all) for x16 😎

HP Compaq Elite 8300 - SFF

"Normally it should have 1/4 length of x16. All contacts are in places, so why and what for this slot have same length as x16?"

there is only one sized X16 slot it is  world standard  this, PCI-express this is called.

some PC makers,,, are x16 sized but only x8 wired,  the spec on all PCs made cover this fact, .

day 1 new dell option was

AMD Radeon HD6350 PCIe x16 graphics card, 512 MB  and only works in the BLACK full x16 slot.

what are you attempting.? NO GOAL TOLD at all, (DREAMS OF GPU AND GAMING?????)

what do you see wrong now, state this clearly,  please.

the #1 most common questions on any SFF PC are.:

1: does it have a real X16 slot and   not wired less?  ( I see one 8300SFF for sale with two x16 slots, )

2: how long of card can go here and how tall.  use ruler it is TIGHT ! and low profile cards only.

NO PC model told   nnnnnnnnABA#

3: is the slot rated below 75watts as some weak PCs are for sure small and cheap.

4: what is supported in this slot, GPU? that?

5: why is this odd duck BTX pc with odd , CPU fan shroud that blocks , x16 cards?  well BTX stinks we never buy those!

1 (total) / 1 (free) x PCIe 3.0 x16 - low-profile (real) black slot !
1 (total) / 1 (free) x PCIe 2.0 x16 - low-profile (x4 mode) a crippled port. it will work but be slow some apps.

btx horrorsbtx horrors

HP Recommended

2nd guess

I guess the question is why is the white slot physically x16 but is not wired, x16 (nothing new here )

counting the pins  from the top  is useless,  only what is wired in copper PCB traces matter, to the chipset matters.

why? well some other boards fit this better.

let me explain if you look at all boards sold what do you see, well in fact some are x16 physical and card is x8 wired. or x4.

see? and more, that is there call the board makers even to gain longer needed card and fits best in long slots, and speed is not the key factor or need, like USB cards or SATA cards, or wifi cards or Ethernet cards and lost more, .sound cards. and more.

it is in fact more versatile   so long as not putting fast GPU card there, and it will fail or run like a slug, (snail)

HP Recommended

In fact, I was interested in this question since on the board itself, the black slot is indicated as x16pciexp j41, and the white one as x4pciexp j42. Not knowing that there is a mod x4 exist, I wondered why this slot.

Gaming? Too bad ventilation, weak power supply, outdated motherboard chip and socket)

The question was asked solely out of interest.

It is clear from your answer that any pci-e (x1 - x16) devices with a speed of up to 2.000 GB / s are suitable there. 

So I got my question answered, thank you 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.