Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Sorry The_Fossette, but can you try to answer me by watching the picture you posted (the same I see in tech spec with no specific infos about M.2)?

2280 or 2240?

If we are not able to understand wich M.2 is the correct one by tech spec, they are incomplete. For me this is obvious and this is not the HP's support I thought to find out. Probably this picture can be update with this kind of info directly near "M.2 SSD Socket 2280/2240".

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@EddieMrg

It is 2280. 

Thanks!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I would go with the Crucial P5, which is on sale now.

Crucial P5 1TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD

The Crucial Configurator indicates it will fit your PC. I put a P5 in my new Z2 G5 Workstation. Crucial provides a cloning took from Acronis that is flawless. Make sure to initialize the new P5 as GPT:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/initialize-new-disks#about-p...

With the P5, my Z2 G5 takes 8 seconds from cold power off start to log in with networking. Blazing fast! Remember, HP does not make M2's.

HP Recommended

Finally we have the right answer!
Ok, any other suggestions in BIOS/UEFI config?

1st time for me with M.2: GPT initalization is done when installing W10?

Thanks

HP Recommended

If you get the Crucial P5, they include a cloning program, Acronis. I have used Acronis dozens of times and never had a problem. It does everything: initialize, format and clone. You put the new P5 in the M2 slot and turn the PC on. It will boot as before. Download and install Acronis (on the old HDD - the new SSD is invisible to File Manager because it is not initialized, yet). Run Acronis. I just accept the defaults (GPT, NTFS). Note, if you bought a larger SSD, the excess will be in the main partition (C drive). Good way to solve your running out of disk space problem. Acronis clones everything, including Recovery Partition and UEF partitions. By default, the non-system partitions are cloned at the same size they currently are. Then, shut everything down and unplug the old HDD and remove it. Makes a good doorstop! You can buy a Crucial SSD to replace it - they are on sale now. I would not try to reuse the old HDD - it will just slow things down. Then, power on your computer. It will run from the P5. But, hold on to your seat! My boot is 8 seconds from cold power off to log in with networking. On my HP, I did not need to do anything to the BIOS. The HP boot menu resides in the UEF partition, which is cloned, too.

Your original message mentioned P2. Get the P5. The P2 is old technology. The P5 is currently the speed champ at ZDNET. Not that much more in cost. The P5 gave me an 8 second boot. A P2 might have run that up to 45 seconds or so. I got a Sabrent M.2 2280 SSD Rocket Heatsink (SB-HTSK) to keep it cool. Easy install.

HP Recommended

I used Acronis and is really good.

But I need to do a clean installation due to other problems (I have some troubles with drivers of a specific instrumentation... .

I have an M.2 on my ZenBook Pro and it is amazing!

In my case I have a gen3 M.2 (I think). so P5 is ok?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

First, use the Crucial Advisor to determine compatibility. Crucial has a scanner that will scan your computer, but I prefer the manual tool:

https://www.crucial.com/store/advisor?cm_re=homepage-_-hero-_-combobox-selector-btn

With an HP computer, there is a routine to restore your device to original factory condition. That means everything is removed and the computer ends up booting to the original operating system with the original BIOS. In other words, a very clean install. If your original OS was not Windows 10, upgrade to 10. Yes, Microsoft still lets you do that for free. MS does not support anything but 10 anymore; so going to 10 is a no-brainier, especially if you were on 7. Once you get through the Windows first run routine and run Windows Update until no more updates, check the HP website to make sure you have the latest drivers,  then install Acronis, shut down, install P5, reboot and run Acronis to clone the clean install.

It goes without saying this process will wipe your HD. So, backup all data and make sure you have everything you need to reinstall the programs and apps you want to keep. If you were on an older OS, you may need to upgrade programs to work with Windows 10. The latest version of many programs only work with Windows 10.

HP Recommended

aaaand... I made it!
Installed a new P5, clean installation, no cloning method.

Unfortunately the M.2 screw was not on the motherboard so I used a bit of graytape for now.

Thanks to anyone of you!

HP Recommended

You can buy a M2 screw kit on Amazon. Comes with several screws and the mini screw driver. I think it was only $8

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.