Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 750-150xt CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Will my Envy 750-150xt CTO desktop support an SSD drive?  I believe it has a 2B36 2.0 motherboard, a 1 TB HDD drive, 12 GB RAM, and an i7-4790 CPU.  The system bios is A0.08.  I'd like to replace the current HDD drive with a SSD drive and make it the boot drive to improve load times.  I'll retain the HDD drive as secondary storage.  I can't find information as to whether or not the motherboard supports the M2 or SATA interfaces.  I would appreciate any information or advice.  Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello
indeed
I installed a crucial mx500 ssd on a slightly older computer

https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/product/hp-pavilion-hpe-h9-phoenix-desktop-pc-series/5258492/model/5297...
it works very well
you can help yourself with the scan here

Welcome to Crucial USA

⚠️  the given site is purely for informational purposes, as it can often help .
But by no means an obligation.
You can test other sites of this type, I indicate this one, because it is one of the only ones that I know which offers this, and quite serious .

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the product specs for your PC at the link below, the motherboard only supports 2.5" SATA SSD's not M.2.

HP ENVY 750-150xt CTO Desktop PC product specifications and configurable options | HP® Customer Supp...

Motherboard specs...

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, Kaili2 | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Hello
indeed
I installed a crucial mx500 ssd on a slightly older computer

https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/product/hp-pavilion-hpe-h9-phoenix-desktop-pc-series/5258492/model/5297...
it works very well
you can help yourself with the scan here

Welcome to Crucial USA

⚠️  the given site is purely for informational purposes, as it can often help .
But by no means an obligation.
You can test other sites of this type, I indicate this one, because it is one of the only ones that I know which offers this, and quite serious .

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi, @apvzante 

I agree that the Crucial MX500 SSD's are excellent.

However in the United States, the WD Blue SSD drive provides the best performance for the price, in my opinion...

This is a comparison of the MX 500 500 GB and the WD Blue 500 GB SSD:

MX 500:

Amazon.com: Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, up to 560MB/s - CT500MX500SSD1: ...

WD Blue:

Amazon.com: Western Digital 500GB WD Blue 3D NAND Internal PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to...

HP Recommended

curious the specifications are more or less the same read speeds up to 560MB / s
here it is a special offer, the price displayed for the wd 500mb
List Price: $ 99.99

at crucial we have the 1to practically at this price (special offer)
https://www.crucial.com/catalog/ssd/mx500

1TB 2.5-inch internal SSD • SATA 6.0Gb/s • 560 MB/s Read 510 MB/s Write

$114.99 $99.99

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

The sequential write speeds on the WD Blue drive are faster.

HP Recommended

indeed slightly faster.

that said, I am always wary of the data displayed
when I bought mine I did not have the means so I had chosen the crucial but in 500mb ..
But if I had to do it again I might take the 1to WD

Crucial MX500 1TB

List Price:$114.99 Details
Price:$95.60

Western Digital 1TB

Price:$99.99

the difference is not huge

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

Thanks to both of you for your help and excellent recommendations.  Do either of you know if the Acronis software provided by both Crucial and Western Digital will clone a 2tb HDD drive to a 1tb SSD drive?  Or do they have to be the same size?  I currently have a 2tb HDD drive which is about 25% used and would like to reformat it as secondary storage after installing the SSD as the boot drive.  Again, thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't know if you can clone a larger capacity drive to a smaller capacity drive using the Acronis software.

HP Recommended

My pc originally had a 1TB disk
like i said i bought the 500mb
I made a little space, removed some software games in order to be as close as possible!
all I didn't care was that I copied the recovery partition, which caused the space to run out, but it still worked
I do not know if there is an option to "compress" the image, to make it smaller ..
I had been at the simplest of these functions
But you will easily find the manual online, you can take the time to read it before use
Get an external medium if possible, before to copy your personal data to reduce the volume.

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.