Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion p6267c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently installed Windows 10 on my HP desktop computer. 

My Microsoft Wheel Mouse Opticcal works fine on startup; but if the computer goes to sleep, the mouse will not work when the computers comes back up.  I have to unplug the mouse and plug it in again for it to work. 

I couldn't find a driver for Windows 10 online, so I called Microsoft.  They looked up my computer and told me that they don't think that it's compatible with Windows 10.

Is this likely?  Is there a fix without incurring a cost?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @Winyah67,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that Microsoft indicated that they believe that your computer is not compatible with Windows 10. I am happy to help you with this.

When I checked your computer model, I found that there are no specific drivers for Windows 10. That is not a crippling fact. If you upgraded your computer using the compatibility check, then Windows 10 already checked your system for compatibility with the operating system, and then went ahead. When Windows 10 was released, Microsoft indicated that any system running Windows 7 or 8.1 was eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade.  Naturally, because of the wide range of hardware and software installed in systems, it is impossible to check every possible combination of hardware and software, and older components are not likely to get specific Windows 10 drivers. This has always been the case when newer operation systems are released. Older programs and devices will not always work with it.  In the case of Windows 10, the preliminary compatibility test was to see if there was hardware that was absolutely incompatible. If it passed then either the existing driver would work, or Windows 10 had an internal driver that it could use. 

Now  all of that being said, you can still try to install and use an older driver for Windows 8.1 or 7, and see if it will work, or you can try installing again, but this time using the compatibility mode in Windows 10. It may resolve the issue. See this document from Microsoft supportthat can help with this:  How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10 - answers.microsoft.com

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there @Winyah67,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that Microsoft indicated that they believe that your computer is not compatible with Windows 10. I am happy to help you with this.

When I checked your computer model, I found that there are no specific drivers for Windows 10. That is not a crippling fact. If you upgraded your computer using the compatibility check, then Windows 10 already checked your system for compatibility with the operating system, and then went ahead. When Windows 10 was released, Microsoft indicated that any system running Windows 7 or 8.1 was eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade.  Naturally, because of the wide range of hardware and software installed in systems, it is impossible to check every possible combination of hardware and software, and older components are not likely to get specific Windows 10 drivers. This has always been the case when newer operation systems are released. Older programs and devices will not always work with it.  In the case of Windows 10, the preliminary compatibility test was to see if there was hardware that was absolutely incompatible. If it passed then either the existing driver would work, or Windows 10 had an internal driver that it could use. 

Now  all of that being said, you can still try to install and use an older driver for Windows 8.1 or 7, and see if it will work, or you can try installing again, but this time using the compatibility mode in Windows 10. It may resolve the issue. See this document from Microsoft supportthat can help with this:  How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10 - answers.microsoft.com

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I appreciate the help.

HP Recommended

@Malygris1 wrote:

Hi there @Winyah67,

I upgraded to Windows 10 last May 15th.  Oddly enough, my computer did its own update as I watched helplessly late that night since I did not want to disturb the process and risk screwing up my HP 9-1135 Pavilion desktop.  I later found out that Microsoft sent the upgrade for Windows 10 mixed in with my other updates for Windows 7 that were set for automatic.

For an entire week, my computer CTD as Windows 10 and Windows Explorer stopped working several times (at least once a day).  I spoke to Microsoft and they told me my computer driver was not compatible yet the "compatibility report' from the Windows 10 app said different!  It met the requirements for memory, processor, printer, and other devices, apps, and data/files. And there were no error messages that popped-up during the installation. In addition, I could not sort my favorites in Windows Edge by name and I could not schedule scans in Windows Defender that replaced Microsoft Security Essentials Windows. Oh, and lastly, I discovered that in Microsoft Word 365, my ‘mailings’ function was either missing or had become corrupted. I did not try the other features in Word 365 so I am not sure if they were affected too.

Incidentally, MS also told me the conversion back to Windows 7 would be painless and that nothing would be affected. NOT TRUE! I spend a few hours cleaning up my Windows Live Mail files afterwards as every email message in my inbox, junk email, and deleted items folders had been duplicated! I also had to do a system restore as my computer’s reliability and problem history ‘graph page’ no longer displayed any activity.

My question: should I give Windows 10 another shot for my machine or call it a day? I did not try using the compatibility mode in Windows 10. Could it have made a difference? I’m quite happy with Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) and willing to make do until Windows no longer supports Windows 7 (which may be a while) but there were some features in Windows 10 that I liked and it did seem like an improvement. But after the all the time since Windows 10 has been released, you would have thought Microsoft had worked out all the bugs!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.