Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I just got a new HP Omni-27 desktop (Windows 7 64-bit) which comes with a KG-1162 wireless keyboard.  The problem is that the fn status of the function keys is reversed from what it should be.  As an example, the f10 key dims the display instead of sending an f10 code to the application, and fn+f10 sends an f10 code instead of dimming the display.  This makes the keyboard extremely frustrating when trying to use applications that make heavy use of function keys, like MS Office products and developer IDEs.  Another example is interactive games which require use of the function keys, but you rarely have an extra finger free to also hold down the fn key.  This is analagous to trying to use a keyboard that doesn't have a Caps Lock key, but always acts as if Caps Lock were on.  Of the several keyboards I use in the course of a day, this is the only one that acts this way.  I'd really like to find a way to fix this before I throw this keyboard out and buy one that works as it should.  Here's what I've tried and learned so far:

• The very few references I've been able to find in a Google search either suggest things that don't work, or suggest it's a vendor problem.
  • A chat with HP technical support did not help.
  • I verified that a non-HP wireless keyboard tethered to a non-HP laptop running Windows 7 acts properly.
  • I verified that a USB keyboard plugged into my PC works properly.
  • My previous HP PC running Vista with a different HP wireless keyboard worked properly while it lived.

My conclusion is that the problem is likely tied to the driver for this particular model of wireless keyboard.  Can anyone help with a fix (other than throw it out and use one that works properly)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

[Updated to add newer info from the keyboard manual.]

The f1 to f11 keys perform as either multimedia keys, or standard function keys. The default is multimedia.

To switch from multimedia to standard function, press the fn+esc keys simultaneously; this locks the keys to standard function. To switch back from standard function to multimedia, press the fn+esc keys simultaneously again.

Pressing the fn key simultaneously with an f1 to f11 key, performs the standard function.

Press fn+fx during system startup to use the function keys to access and utilize the BIOS functions (such as Boot Menu or System Recovery).

If the mouse and keyboard do not respond, refer to the wireless mouse and keyboard troubleshooting information located with your other product documentation.

For better mouse battery life and performance, avoid using your mouse on dark or high-gloss surface, and turn mouse power off when not in use.

----------

Please let me know if this solves your problem! 

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

[Updated to add newer info from the keyboard manual.]

The f1 to f11 keys perform as either multimedia keys, or standard function keys. The default is multimedia.

To switch from multimedia to standard function, press the fn+esc keys simultaneously; this locks the keys to standard function. To switch back from standard function to multimedia, press the fn+esc keys simultaneously again.

Pressing the fn key simultaneously with an f1 to f11 key, performs the standard function.

Press fn+fx during system startup to use the function keys to access and utilize the BIOS functions (such as Boot Menu or System Recovery).

If the mouse and keyboard do not respond, refer to the wireless mouse and keyboard troubleshooting information located with your other product documentation.

For better mouse battery life and performance, avoid using your mouse on dark or high-gloss surface, and turn mouse power off when not in use.

----------

Please let me know if this solves your problem! 

------------

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended
Many thanks -- that worked perfectly. And kudos for solving this when several chats with HP support could not, and there is little documentation available. I'm actually using a standard USB keyboard instead now which I like much better.
HP Recommended

Happy to help! Thanks for letting me know that worked for you.

The documentation I pulled that from should be included in the box with the keyboard. Was it missing, or just easy to overlook? Any suggestions for us on how to make it clearer/easier to find or use?

------------

HP Recommended

There was no such document in the box.  I suppose it's possible I overlooked it, but I searched quite thoroughly before discarding the boxes.  It would have saved me days of frustration.  Also, I couldn't find anything like this in the online documents for the Omni27, or in searching the support site and forums.  Obviously the technical support people copuldn't find this either.  Having this available online and linked to the Omni27 support page would also have been helpful.

Is there more in this document than what you copied into your response?  If so, I'd really like to see the whole document.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

I'm sorry you had a frustrating experience with this, KenPaul, and I thank you for the additional feedback. The only part I didn't post are the keyboard layout graphic and translations. I'll see what we can do about putting this info out on the web! 

------------

HP Recommended

Can you please provide me more information on Fn key for my HPE-8 desktop. I love my HP, but facing issue with my wireless keyboard.. Any information on how to use it , disable and enable it will help me tone with my daily use of the pc.  I have not receive any manual with pc and manuall on web page for my pc is does not provide much information as my DV7 notebook manuall does.

I will be waiting for your respons

Thanks

HP Recommended

When the function keys are functioning as standard F1 - F12 keys:

For Windows 7:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/using-your-keyboard

For Windows Vista:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-your-keyboard

As stated previously:

The f1 to f11 keys perform as either multimedia keys, or standard function keys. The default is multimedia. (I've attached the graphic from the manual, here, so you can see their functions.) 

For more general troubleshooting of wireless keyboard and mouse, see http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00006821

There's even a great video there! (I thought it was a bit long, myself, but found the answer to a problem I'd been having - about halfway through. Definitely worth a look.) Hope this helps!

------------

HP Recommended

i recently bought a wireless hp key board. the mouse responds, but hte key board is dead.model no is KBI P/N LV 290AA

HP Recommended

I noticed that you have the same keyboard that I have,(wireless KBI) HP can't seem to find it in their listings. Do you happen to know what the buttons along the left side of the keyboard do? they have a symol that looks like a tv, a world, scizzors,2 rectangles, and a square with a square in front of it. HP person recommended I push them to see what they do but they seem not to do anything except the world one. it takes me to my yahoo page. any suggestions? thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.