Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

My Z210 Workstation will not boot from a USB thumb drive. I know the drive is properly formatted and bootable, because I've booted another PC from it. I have the following relevant BIOS settings:

• Removeable Media Boot: Enable
  • EFI Boot Order:
  •   USB Hard Drive
  •   USB Floppy/CD
  •   ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
  •   Other
  • Legacy Boot Order:
  •   USB Floppy/CD
  •   Hard Drive
  •   ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
  • Lock Legacy Resources: Disable
  • All USB Ports are enabled

When I boot up with the USB thumb drive in a USB port (and I've tried all of them), none of the USB choices (either EFI or Legacy) show up in the boot menu; however if I enter BIOS setup the device is there, so it is being detected. Any ideas?

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Is this at work?

It may be disabled in group policies if it is on a network.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

Is this at work?

It may be disabled in group policies if it is on a network.

It is at work, but how can Windows group policies apply when Windows isn't running (i.e. when I'm cold booting the workstation)? In addition, I have full admin rights on the workstation. I can install anything, the BIOS setup isn't locked down, etc.

HP Recommended
Check to see if there is a secure boot option in BIOS. Disable it.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:
Check to see if there is a secure boot option in BIOS. Disable it.

The only options even remotely resembling that are:

• Removeable Media Boot: Enabled
  • Activate Embedded Security on Next Boot: Disabled
  • OS Management of Embedded Security Device: Disabled

HP Recommended

Are you trying to boot an OS like Ubuntu?

Have you tried a different usb flash disk?

Some PCs are just not compatible with some usb media.

I have experienced the same issue with my Nook HD+. In order to be able to boot android CM10 in  a dual boot configuration with the Nook OS, amongst my collection of microSDHC cards, only a Samsung 8GB card will work. I tried with 16Gb and 32 GB class 6  and 10 cards of varying manufacturers, but so far it has been futile. 

CM10_Nook.png

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

Are you trying to boot an OS like Ubuntu?

Have you tried a different usb flash disk?

Some PCs are just not compatible with some usb media.

I have experienced the same issue with my Nook HD+. In order to be able to boot android CM10 in  a dual boot configuration with the Nook OS, amongst my collection of microSDHC cards, only a Samsung 8GB card will work. I tried with 16Gb and 32 GB class 6  and 10 cards of varying manufacturers, but so far it has been futile. 

I've tried multiple thumb drives of multiple sizes and various speeds, with no success. I can't believe nobody else has encountered this problem.

HP Recommended
You seem to want answers, but don't seem to be willing to answer pertinent questions.

The support forum works well if information flows two ways.

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:
You seem to want answers, but don't seem to be willing to answer pertinent questions.

The support forum works well if information flows two ways.

Excuse me? I have answered every question you have asked. In response, you gave me some completely unrelated information about booting a Nook tablet, which has nothing to do with an HP workstation.

HP Recommended
You’re not the only one. Same problem here. I’ve also tried different sizes and brands of USB sticks. I suppose it’s possible that all of them just happen to be ones that won’t boot with this system, but I don’t have problems booting other systems with the same sticks.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.