Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z230
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I am trying to find out if an HP Z230 is capable of using a Broadwell Xeon E3 V4 processor. I know that they never came with them, but it is a C226 chipset and according to Intel all C226 "should" have gotten a Broadwell bios update. But with it being OEM I want to be sure before I spend 100 dollars. If it won't work I'll stick with a Haswell Refresh E3 V3. But I'd like to have that L4 Cache that Broadwell offers. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@KeeganJ92 , welcome to the forum.

HP has their motherboards made to their specifications and use them in many different models.  Therefore, they are not necessarily the same as retail boards.  For this reason, only the processors that are fully tested are assured to be compatible with the motherboard.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide for the Tower Workstation:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04658261

On Page 17 is a list of compatible processors:  Support for the Intel Xeon Processor E3 v3 Family or third-generation Intel Core processors up to 95 W

I can't find any information on the Intel Microcode 0x28 update mentioned in the latest BIOS update of April, 2020.  However, the Intel Microcode 0x27 was for the Xeon E3 v3 processors.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.