Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP z240 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Expert, 

I have an old workstation. Plan to upgrade it for my son as gaming PC. What gaming graphic card shall I purchased. Did some research that Gaming need to use GeForce instead of Quadro. The workstation is running Xeon, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD, integrated graphic card. 

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Sam

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I have Z600

but that old PC is not UEFI  secure boot setup now right.

click start run box type "system information"  see secure boot state = on; or off, , off is best.

on some PCs for sure most OEM, and new,  only the maker GPU cards work if , above is ON. OK?  I do not know for all HP.

but my Z600 can in fact run any card I want. and tried many.

The best card fast to avoid new PSU<   (how many watts is yours , mine is 650watts for 2 quad core CPU inside and more.

oh, your PC is the super  dingy SFF,  a pain that and is for sure no gaming box , buy a real desktop MT.

Intel CoreTM i7-6700 9 this part is good gen 6 intel)

the SFF power to the X16 slot is not spec'd  and must be 75watts,

this PC only allows low profile GPU cards,  buy  a card  GTX1650 , low pro. not too long or hits card cage.

the PAIN is low pro cards are too long,  Uses ruler in the case of this SFF box see length max , x16 slot.  HP does not spec. this. 

has to fit, and not hit and not overload the x16 slot or PSU.

those are the rules, and secure boot off, if present at all.

the PSU is 240watts,  found one for sale, HP spec page fails to tell PSU anything .

should be ok with 75watt GPU,  the HP choices then were 25watt, only slow , non game GPU.

next time buy a MT cased PC so all cards fit. and work.

see red line use  a ruler first , not non standard non ATX PSU, hard to upgrade for sure.

z240.JPG

NO warranty answers by me.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.