Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

My original Z4 G4 Xeon board failed and I replaced with a new CoreX board  (they are easier to source than the Xeon boards in the UK for some reason). I had to purchase an i9 CPU  and ended up with a 7980XE (165W) as it a a good price and finally some 32Gb of RAM (as my original Xeon ECC memory was not compatible with the i9).

The problem I have is a bit frustrating, one part I think I can solve and the other bit I am not sure about. The first problem I have  is it boots with a manufacturing programming mode (1) message and first tells me there is a 912 incorrect cooler. I looked this up and basically I need to upgrade the CPU cooler as I am using the old Xeon (W2123 at 125W) unit. Lots of discussion about getting a Z440 with a 6 to 5 pin convertor so that's what I ordered to hopefully solve that one. The next is a bit trickier as it want the serial, feature byte, build ID etc. These are all on the original case but having put the feature byte code in it gave a CRC error maybe due to the fact its from a Xeon based unit as is the rest of the stuff on the bottom of the case. So at this stage I am not sure if my original Xeon info will work in the CoreX board. I also tried to disable the MPM using the BCU utility but it just keeps resetting itself back to MPM *unlock  probably because that info is not in there. 

As an aside I actually thought the FB code was something to do with whether the board was a Windows or Linux host.

I would appreciate if anybody knows a way to solve this or just disable the MPM without inputting the serial, FB, BID etc? as I don't relish the thought of starting the PC with this going on after spending out on a new board. The only option I see is to get an old CoreX Z4 case and use the the info on that. 

Best regards

Richard 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I sorted it in the end by typing in the original stuff from the Xeon case. I got the CRC error on the feature byte as the case label was missing the decimal point before the end two digits. The MPM mode message went after I committed the changes.

Now I just need to upgrade the PSU to 1kW, upgrade the CPU cooler to the 6 pin high power version and put in a front fan then all sorted. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I sorted it in the end by typing in the original stuff from the Xeon case. I got the CRC error on the feature byte as the case label was missing the decimal point before the end two digits. The MPM mode message went after I committed the changes.

Now I just need to upgrade the PSU to 1kW, upgrade the CPU cooler to the 6 pin high power version and put in a front fan then all sorted. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.