Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z420

About 18 months ago I got a used Z420.

Somehow I put my 2x 3.5" HDDs into the caddies or rails or whatever you call them.

Now I want to replace them with new drives, and cannot see how to get the old drives out.

The screws (if they are screws) are flat on top, they have no slot for a screwdiver.

When I put the drives in, it must have seemed obvious, as I didn't write myself a note.

Couldn't find anything about this in the maintenance pdf, nor by google search.

The caddy in the third bay has a 2.5" SSD in it, and I can see the inner ends of those "screws" there; next time I shut down I'll take that out and have a closer look at it, but not too hopeful it will reveal the secret.)

/ jon 77

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes it's obvious.

They're not screws, they're smooth pins.

The shiny black plastic is flexible.

Just bend the end of each rail away from the drive

until the pin is all the way out.

/ jon 77

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Yes it's obvious.

They're not screws, they're smooth pins.

The shiny black plastic is flexible.

Just bend the end of each rail away from the drive

until the pin is all the way out.

/ jon 77

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.