Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
configuration on z620

Hello.
Right now i have a wrokstation on z620 without videochip and RAM. The RAM will be in several days, and I have a video card for test.
I have tried to test my config without this components(just if it starts and if cooling fans are working right) and I have seen two problems at once.
The first problem I have noticed is the fact that work station turned on when i switched the power supply's button to "on". I hope this problem was caused by wrond BIOS settings. So the first question is if this board have a BIOS setting that makes it to turn on when the power exits. I will add information about this thing as soon as I will receive my RAM.

The other problem is connected with the lack of termal monitor. I can't buy store monitor(don't have money and time to order it from Ebay/Amazon/Ali...). So, as I know, I can use transistor. But which transistor I should use, and how I should use it?

P.S. I have a soldering iron and I know how to use it xd
P.P.S. My english is awful. Not sure if I made grammatic mistakes, but I am sure that I've used wrong time, at least once. Hope you'll understand me right, without missunderstanding.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Opadfnezig,

Welcome to the forum.

First, I would recommend you download and install the following HP workstation support programs;

1. HP Support Assistant

2, HP Performance Advisor

It is also a good idea to download the latest HP quickspecs for your HP Z620 which lists the supported configurations for your machine and gives a load of other usefull information.

Regarding your other queries;

1.  There is a BIOS setting, under the Power-On Options, that lets you decide what the computer should do in the event of a power loss, i.e. stay switched off or power-on the computer. Change this setting to 'off' if you don't want the computer to switch on when the power lead is plugged in.

2. There is a setting in the BIOS Power-On Options that lets you run the computer without a monitor installed and it is called Headless Mode. Enabling this setting will allow you to power on an boot the computer without a monitor installed. This setting is  handy if you plan on using the computer as a home or business server and don't need a monitor connected. If you install VNC you can log on and remotely control/configure the HP Z620 from another computer on the same network.

Z620 BIOS Power.JPG

Hope this helps.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi Opadfnezig,

Welcome to the forum.

First, I would recommend you download and install the following HP workstation support programs;

1. HP Support Assistant

2, HP Performance Advisor

It is also a good idea to download the latest HP quickspecs for your HP Z620 which lists the supported configurations for your machine and gives a load of other usefull information.

Regarding your other queries;

1.  There is a BIOS setting, under the Power-On Options, that lets you decide what the computer should do in the event of a power loss, i.e. stay switched off or power-on the computer. Change this setting to 'off' if you don't want the computer to switch on when the power lead is plugged in.

2. There is a setting in the BIOS Power-On Options that lets you run the computer without a monitor installed and it is called Headless Mode. Enabling this setting will allow you to power on an boot the computer without a monitor installed. This setting is  handy if you plan on using the computer as a home or business server and don't need a monitor connected. If you install VNC you can log on and remotely control/configure the HP Z620 from another computer on the same network.

Z620 BIOS Power.JPG

Hope this helps.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer.

I had been seeking for answer to my questions for a long time. And I first see answer like this. Maybe because I had been seeking answers for z420, becouse z620 is more rare. As I understand, in headless mode motherboard will regulate speed of cooling fans by cpu temperature? Will fan speed be regulated?(I have bougt 4 pin fans so I would like to use it fully)

I really apprisiate your asnwer and help, but I cant try it right now. I am waiting for RAM (it's already in my town for 10 days, I think it's stolen. Funny, it is ECC REG, but it is ok. ) If it will not arrive to the end of the week I will buy one in the local shop.

I will write about if it helped as soon as possible.

HP Recommended

Please note that the CPU fan sockets on the HP Zx20 workstation motherboards are 5-pin and not 4-pin.

I would recommend you use the standard HP oem fan CPU Cooler which has an offset heatsink/fan to allow space for the 2nd CPU riser board, and of course has a 5-pin plug. It may be possible to use a 4-pin fan in your Z620 but I would suggest you search the forum for more details.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.