Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z8 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I need to upgrade my memory and could get a good deal on 12 sticks of 32 GB samsung ram. The exact model number is M393A4K40CB2-CTD.

The previous owner had trouble to get it working and suspected compatibility issues with his mainboard.

Because I also couldn't find any information we made the deal that I could just test it with my system. So I removed my old memory (4 x 16 GB)  and inserted all 12 sticks in slots 1-12. When I pressed the power button I only got the 3.2 error code: "The embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from memory initialization."

I tested it with only 4 sticks, switched them out for 4 different ones ... Still the same.

Now I would assume that there is a compatibility issue, but after searching the internet I found a few shops which are selling this exact modules for the Z8 G4.

So my main question is: Are the sticks dead, is the model and therefore the shops wrong or did I miss anything?

Every help is really appreciated, thanks! 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello
if you haven't done the test, try the modules one by one in a first slot
If none works, simply incompatible with the motherboard, all faulty would be very rare
But if some work and not others, there may be some defective in the batch.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.