Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z820
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I have a z820 and recently bought a new SSD (Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1 To) with an adaptator to have an extra storage disk.

I d'ont know why but it consistently refuse to recognize both of the hard disk, no matter on which slot I plug them.
I have installed windows on both just to check if there was no problem with the disk itself, I can boot on each disk but if I plug both only one of them is recognized, the other disk just doesn't exist for the computer. I have checked the storage management and it only show one disk at a time (either the old one or the new one).

Here is my bios version : Hewlett-Packard J63 v03,91, 17/10/2016

Bios mode : UEFI

Can anyone help me on that ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok, I found the solution, just in case someone encounter the same problem : it was a SAS Card driver that was not installed. 
So be sure to check the sas card driver (solution on this thread : https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/No-Windows-10-driv...)

Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi

Is there any way to tell which is the Primary and which is the Secondary, apart from the channel they plug into?

BIOS Boot2 .jpg

What is the boot sequence set to?

What OS are you using?

HP Recommended

the

HP Recommended

The only way to tell which is which is maybe by seing that models are different, primary is the old one : crucial CT525 MX 300, 500Go and secondary is the new one : Samsung SSD 860 EVO, 1 To

Other than that if I plug one into the slot 1, the other is not recognized at all. If I switch disk that's the same problem, the first is always recognized but the second seams to not exist. I tried reset to factory default the bios setting but that don't help.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

You can see on attached pictures that the bios seems to let me choose on which disk I want to boot but after that the other disk won't be shown anymore.

The OS is Windows 10, 64 bits.

HP Recommended

Hi

The pictures can take a while to get approved, and someone else may have a better idea than me.

HP Recommended

Ok, I found the solution, just in case someone encounter the same problem : it was a SAS Card driver that was not installed. 
So be sure to check the sas card driver (solution on this thread : https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/No-Windows-10-driv...)

Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.