Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I certainly can't tell you why, but I can tell you what is. Is it possible that the sequence of drive letters is the issue, in that I have C then D and E are opticals with F, an HD, following?  It's a fooler because in Disk Management, F shows up as it should.

HP Recommended

Problem is resolved. Went into drive security (?), F10 at start to verify all drive slots enabled or something to that effect. They were. Saved and exited.  Went into Drive Management. Changed 2 optical drives from D and E to E and F respectively and 2nd HD to D. Plugged 2nd HD into light blue slot. Restarted. Success. Not sure what did what or why. Go figure, right? I bought this comp used on Ebay from someone who also bought it used so who knows who fiddled with what. Running fine now.

Many thanks to all who helped.

HP Recommended

I will have to try that.

I doubt that any previous owner messed with your computer since mine was doing the same and I can about guarantee from where mine came from it wasn't altered.

Thanks

Don

HP Recommended

Can anybody point me to where I can get all inoformation necessary to add a second hard drive to my 8200 elite sff.  I have only about 5 GB left on my hard disk and need to add room for more programs. For instance Win 10 can't download as there is insufficient room and I use my PC daily for business. I have penty of external hard disks but don't believe that any programs can run form there. Grateful for any help.

HP Recommended

Sorry guys

I a made the usual mistake by copying the header. I have a 8100 elite sff. will this make a big difference?

HP Recommended

If you have an empty HD slot and an open mother board connector and a HD with the correct cables, shouldn't be a problem.    Do you have a manual?  If not, search for one, I did and got lots of info, although I still needed a little help.

Another option is to get an external HD to plug into a USB Port.  This has several advantages, you can use it as a back up of your important stuff  or just to move stuff off of the internal HD.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

. I have not opened the machine yet and I don't have a manual. Plenty of had disks though but can't run any programs from them. Do you mean a HD slot in the front face of the PC or somewhere internal?

HP Recommended

I don't know anything about the 8100 but if it has 2 slots for Hard Drives, then there is a connector on the mother board for it to connect.

If there is not a second slot, then the external way would work with a USB cable, you just need the adaptors to go from the HD to the USB cable.

HP Recommended

Had the same issue. Folloed your way upto verifiying all drive slots (all were enabled). Saved and exited. Now the second HDD is running fine.

Thanks to you.

HP Recommended

Glad I could help.

Don

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.