Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0007na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi,

i'm looking to add an additional internal hard drive to my desktop (already have external drives and its getting cluttered)

there are spare drive bays, there's even a spare 'HDD 3' SATA connector, but there isn't a spare power connector for another drive.

i cant find any power splitter cables that fit either- the one on the mother board is a 6 pin rectangular socket rather than.

is there a way to add an additional HDD, if so how can i go about this?

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

cheers for the reply- having had another look though its even easier to resolve....

Turns out that the tower already has spare connector ports and cables- the confusion was caused because the cables were the same as those connected already and the  ends were  curled up behind the existing HDD making it look like they were the feed for it.

Wasnt until i removed the current HDD that i found it had another power connected directly behind it and the 'dead' ends of the spare cables hidden away

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

that is a common problem on HP desktops , non ATX spec, that if was has all those cables there for sure.

they do sell on ebay 15pin splitters, power,

the question is, does HP have  cable upgrade for this.

the HP parts server shows the 2 cables here in cell 1

buy that? 22275-001  (shows not in stock HHD2)

https://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=4FQ76EA

others HERE asked the same exact question see here

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Envy-795-series-NEW-info/td-...

only HP cables work the 6pin mobo jack HDD2.  if using wrong cable it shorts the PSU 5v or 12v lines.

do not use wrong cables to 6 pins. jacks.

the jacks are label,  read them  HDD1, HDD2, and ODD. on mobo white silkscreened words.

do not short the PSU out using wrong cables, or use 15pin Y splitter cable as those are generic SATA power.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

cheers for the reply- having had another look though its even easier to resolve....

Turns out that the tower already has spare connector ports and cables- the confusion was caused because the cables were the same as those connected already and the  ends were  curled up behind the existing HDD making it look like they were the feed for it.

Wasnt until i removed the current HDD that i found it had another power connected directly behind it and the 'dead' ends of the spare cables hidden away

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.