Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Desktop - 190-0406a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

can I add second ssd to my HP Desktop - 190-0406a

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks, waited for the Y connector to try before replying.

Arrived today.

I wanted to discard the DVD as I have usb device I can use if need be.

I connected the Y cable to SSD and HHD

Rebooted, but the old HDD was not found.

Swapped the two over and rebooted, this time the SSD was not found.

As the cloned SSD had the same name, I renamed the HHD from Windows to HHD.

Rebooted from HDD and the HDD name worked fine, but no SSD found.

Tried using the DVD cabling for the SSD, still using the Y cable for power, but disconnected the HDD.

Rebooted from the SSD, worked fine.

Reconnected the HDD and rebooted, this time it ignored the SSD in the DVD setup, and used the HDD. The SSD was again not found.

Conclusion, only one disk drive can be found by the motherboard.

Solution I am using is to robocopy my C: drive to a USB external drive, keep the old HDD inplace without power as warm backup. If the SSD becomes corrupt, I can reboot from the HDD and restore user data from the USB drive back to HDD.

I was hoping to be able to robocopy directly to the HDD as a hot backup, but alas seems not possible.

Again thanks for the suggestion, I was unaware of the sata power cable Y connector.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Bluedog69,

Have you ever looked inside?  There are only 2 SATA data headers on the board.  Both are being used, ie (1) hard drive, and (2) DVD drive.  The power is from an onboard 4 pin  header. I doubt the cable has more than 2 power connectors

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I had looked inside, and have cloned my HDD to an SSD and connected the cables to the it. All working fine.

Connected the USB cable that uses 2 usb ports for added power to the old HDD, but that did not work. Not spinning. I found the SATA cable feeding the DVD drive, but cannot work out how to power the old HDD.

Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

@Bluedog69,

The HD uses a standard SATA power plug. The DVD drive is powered by a slim connector.  The only way to power a second SATA drive is by using a SATA power splitter "Y" connector.  That only solves power. Surmise your not going to use the DVD drive anymore.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks, waited for the Y connector to try before replying.

Arrived today.

I wanted to discard the DVD as I have usb device I can use if need be.

I connected the Y cable to SSD and HHD

Rebooted, but the old HDD was not found.

Swapped the two over and rebooted, this time the SSD was not found.

As the cloned SSD had the same name, I renamed the HHD from Windows to HHD.

Rebooted from HDD and the HDD name worked fine, but no SSD found.

Tried using the DVD cabling for the SSD, still using the Y cable for power, but disconnected the HDD.

Rebooted from the SSD, worked fine.

Reconnected the HDD and rebooted, this time it ignored the SSD in the DVD setup, and used the HDD. The SSD was again not found.

Conclusion, only one disk drive can be found by the motherboard.

Solution I am using is to robocopy my C: drive to a USB external drive, keep the old HDD inplace without power as warm backup. If the SSD becomes corrupt, I can reboot from the HDD and restore user data from the USB drive back to HDD.

I was hoping to be able to robocopy directly to the HDD as a hot backup, but alas seems not possible.

Again thanks for the suggestion, I was unaware of the sata power cable Y connector.

HP Recommended

@Bluedog69,

You have 2 boot partitions.  Only one can be active.   The boot device needs to be on SATA0 (original SATA data header.  You need to remove the HDD Windows partition.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.