Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

HP 110-216 721891-002 mobo (pavilion 500). Does anyone know whether the mini pcie on this motherboard that is used for a wireless card could be used to boot the OS to? I can buy to test but of course it would be better if I get some ideas from users for one way or another. I understand from discussions on this idea that some mobo's need a ssd with an internal controller and some do not need that to boot. Any experience with this mobo or similar? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@helpful55,

Unfortunately, no. The "PCI Express half-size mini card socket" on your Camphor motherboard is for an HMC (Half Mini Card) WLAN Wi-Fi card only. No other card or drive would be compatible.

Link: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications (Camphor) | HP® Customer Support

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@helpful55,

Unfortunately, no. The "PCI Express half-size mini card socket" on your Camphor motherboard is for an HMC (Half Mini Card) WLAN Wi-Fi card only. No other card or drive would be compatible.

Link: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications (Camphor) | HP® Customer Support

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Ok thanks for that. If I have to keep things real compact I think I may have options using an ssd to m.2 adapter.

HP Recommended

@helpful55,

You mean using a USB to NVMe M.2 adapter?

NonSequitur777_0-1646011439327.png

Be aware that some of these adapters only support M.2 NVMe SSD cards and do not support M.2 SATA SSDs and M.2 AHCI SSDs.

Btw, it's not clear to me if these adapters would work on your PC's 2.0 USB ports.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

No I mean sticking with sata of course. One of these and a sata m.2 ssd. I already have both from a previous experiment.sata to m.2.jpg

HP Recommended

@helpful55,

Got you, as you know this only works with SATA M.2 drives not NVMe drives.

NonSequitur777_0-1646018580653.png

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

I see that one also.

(and I originally should have said sata to m.2)

If I use the power for the ssd off the actual mobo sata power connector are those the ones like are used for some laptop fans?, they look a little larger than those. If they are the same pins as like a usb header uses I have connectors to do that. (I do not actually have this mobo yet and of course I do not have the cables this original setup had). I can solder and adapt. Thanks

HP Recommended

@helpful55,

Your HDD's SATA Data and Power cables are interchangeable with this SSD adapter.

Here's a link showing step by step what you need to do, though you're probably already familiar with it: https://www.alphr.com/features/378925/how-to-install-a-ssd/

NonSequitur777_0-1646062674971.png

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.