Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop 795-0005na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On my recently purchased HP ENVY Desktop 795-0005na I want the function keys to indicate function F1-F12 NOT default actions. There seems not to be a key that toggles the fn key from default action to F1 to F12. So I am stuck with having to press the fn key each time I want F1 to F12. I have seen the various articles about disabling/enabling in the BIOS but my BIOS does not seem provide this option. It doesn’t have the comprehensive BIOS options that I have seen on my previous HP PCs. When I start up pressing F10, I something called HP set up utility, BIOS revision 844C vF.30. There is no “System Configuration” and nowhere can I find “Action Key Mode” in order to disable the default actions. My ASUS laptop has the function lock key switch from F1 – F12 mode to Action key mode, which is the way I want it. Why does HP do it the other way round? Can anyone help me with this?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Dave-MItch_9_8,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to know how to disable the multimedia keys and enable function keys.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

As you have mentioned that there is no option to change the function keys in BIOS then you will not be able to disable the multimedia keys and it is by design. However, you can purchase a normal keyboard with the function keys enabled.

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, I knew that I could purchase a new keyboard. After I had bought the PC, I saw some reviews of it, saying that the keyboard was too small for their liking and you should purchase an alternative. I like the size and the key travel but not the operation of the function keys. I am surprised that this is the only solution to the problem. Why should I have to buy a new keyboard? Will HP pay for it – NO! If there is no other solution then then I will have to include a warning to other potential purchasers in my review on the Sellers website (I think the biggest PC retailer in the UK).

HP Recommended

@Dave-MItch_9_8,

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.