Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 23 Touchsmart All-in-One PC, Model # 23-d030
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to replace the original HD with an SSD, but don't know if I need 2.5" or 3.5"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@187PC , welcome back to the forum.

Here are the SSD's that are recommended for your computer by Crucial Memory: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP-Compaq/envy-23-d030

You will have to scroll down to the SSD's.  They are towards the bottom of the page.  If Crucial recommends their products they are guaranteed to work.  You can use the specifications of their SSD's to buy one from another manufacturer if you don't want theirs.

Here is the Upgrading and Servicing Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03598969

It has all of the information that you need to open the case and replace the hard drive.  You should check to see if you need an adapter to make the SSD fit properly into the drive bay.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@187PC , welcome back to the forum.

Here are the SSD's that are recommended for your computer by Crucial Memory: https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hP-Compaq/envy-23-d030

You will have to scroll down to the SSD's.  They are towards the bottom of the page.  If Crucial recommends their products they are guaranteed to work.  You can use the specifications of their SSD's to buy one from another manufacturer if you don't want theirs.

Here is the Upgrading and Servicing Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03598969

It has all of the information that you need to open the case and replace the hard drive.  You should check to see if you need an adapter to make the SSD fit properly into the drive bay.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Crucial sold me a converter to allow the 2.5" SSD to fit inside the 3.5" space.

HP Recommended

From one geezer to a "geekster", thanks for the info.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, Geezer @187PC !!  I am glad that the information I provided helped you.  You will see a nice system performance boost with the SSD.

HP Recommended

I downloaded and read the Upgrading & Service Guide.  It was worthless for the most part.  Crucial sent me a "kit" that was supposed to allow installing their 2.5" SDD, however the part did not fit either the SSD or the housing bracket of the old hard disk drive (5-3/4"x4"x3/4").  I was thinking of installing the new SSD drive and using styrofoam surrounding it to secure it inside the old housing.  What do you think???

HP Recommended

@187PC, I know that the Guide doesn't provide a lot of help for you now, but it could come in handy in the future.

I actually suggest that you use velcro to secure the drive in place.  The drive is light and should be easily secured in this manner.  Of course, anything that works is good.  There is actually no right or wrong way to secure it.

HP Recommended

Hey Old_Geester,

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion regarding the use of velcro to secure the 2.5" SSD drive.  Actually I had to "build up" the space between the SSD and the base.  I used the box the SSD came in and some small pieces of cardboard.  It doesn't look beautiful, but it's better than nothing.  I took a picture for  you.  Actually, I wanted to get some styrofoam, cut it to the size of the HP old hard drive housing/cover and carve out a slice for the SSD drive.  I bought an aftermarket 3.5"mounting bracket, but it would not fit inside the HP housing for the old hard drive....so that will be returned along with a totally worthless kit that Crucial sent me.  But, I like your idea of using velcro best....but either the velcro would have to be thick enough to fill the space between the machine's base and the SSD or some other configuration.  Thanks again for all your help.  [personal information removed]20201211_204756.jpg20201211_204736.jpg

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @187PC.

I am not familiar with the setup inside of your case.  So, I am going from past experience.  What you did may not be pretty, but if it works that is all that counts.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.