Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 6680t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

hello

i have an hp 6680t also known as xm548av.   i want to basically clone my drive to another and remove this old drive in favor of a new larger one.  the current drive is a WDXL500M sata drive.   First, what would be a good recommended compatible hard drive to do this with and 2nd, what is the easiesy way to do this?  i have seen programs like AOMEI that can do this or i guess you could use the windows clone tools.   

thanks    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

you need a 2.5 ..3.5 adapter
it's very simple, you fix the ssd in the purchased 2.5 box, which is placed in the 3.5 cage

on the other hand you have to look for there are lots of models
I bought one not long ago, only I did not understand because everything did not fit to fix it, it holds up well, but I found that it did not fit like I did will have wished
There were, screws, and additional cables, why I had chosen it

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Jjdonohue1 

As it is a WIN 7 circa 2010 machine,  limit the clone to maximum 2TB HD.

But my choice would be a WD 1TB 3.5" Black,   Macrium Reflect 7 would be my choice for cloning.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you, a couple more questions.  What about using wd gold 2 tb as a drive?  I assume that would be ok too.

Also in the clone process, I guess I could put this one in an enclosure and write the clone image right to it and swap it for the old drive directly OR write the image to another drive , install the new drive and boot off the windows recovery disk, yes?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello
If you want to replace the HDD, why not take the opportunity to install an SSD instead?
I haven't verified it but you may be able to keep the old one after erasing it to use it for data.
And use an SSD of at least 500go
The computer will be much faster
Try the scan:

Welcome to Crucial USA

[edit]

https://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/c02532954

Drive Bays
  • 13.33 cm (5.25 inch) external: 2
  • 8.89 cm (3.5 inch) internal: 2
  • 8.89 cm (3.5 inch) external: 1
--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

hi

thank you for the suggestion.   i did go on crucial's site and it says there are some 2.5 inch ssd sata  e.g. (Crucial MX500 2TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal SSD ) drives that are compatible with my pavillon 6680t computer.   The question is how does it mount physically?   Will it fit in the same screw holes as the old wd xl500m sata drive that is there now?   that is a 3.5 inch drive.   so im wondering if i can mount this in the cage inside the machine without an issue or if i need some other type of mounting bracket.  i dont know if crucial's site is just looking at electrical specs or mechanical as well.

thanks

HP Recommended

you need a 2.5 ..3.5 adapter
it's very simple, you fix the ssd in the purchased 2.5 box, which is placed in the 3.5 cage

on the other hand you have to look for there are lots of models
I bought one not long ago, only I did not understand because everything did not fit to fix it, it holds up well, but I found that it did not fit like I did will have wished
There were, screws, and additional cables, why I had chosen it

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.