Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp pavilion gaming desktop 790-00xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently bought a hp pavilion gaming desktop 790-0011nt.My cpu( i7 8700 ) temp at idle is around 41 C -45C and while browsing and such it regulary increases to 55 C-60 C. While at gaming(warzone) it is around 90C(reaching as high as 98 C ).I obtained these temperatures from msi afterburner and intel extreme tuning utility.

I also used intel extreme tuning utility for stress tests(5-10 mins) and it spikes to +90 C and cpu thermal throttles initially then power throttles rest of the test 78-82 C.

I have 2 questions,are these temperatures okay(within specifications)?

and why doesn't the temperatures drop in game like it does in stress test?

ps:I also noticed highest my cpu clock ever reaches is 4.4 Ghz,most of the time 4.3 Ghz and under load it dips below 4 Ghz(while power throttling) even though my cpu is rated at 4.6 Ghz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

don't touch anything don't worry!
If you are playing for a very, very long time, just try to take short breaks, a little coffee!
If the computer does not make a plane noise, everything is fine!
Regularly check the vents, if not too much dust, inside.
from the moment the pc is not overheated for too long, you have nothing to fear

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello
It is normal that a processor rises in temperature according to the use, this type of processor can support up to 100 ° celsius
Then you have different parameters which have to be taken into account
the outside temperature, the location of the tower (more or less closed location), the other peripherals (graphics cards for example, more or less powerful), the fan installed more or less efficient and the thermal paste also ....

and of course the use of the processor at time T, if it is more solicited it heats more, as for a stress which pushes the limits of use in general!
For the rest, I may not have understood correctly, but it is up to x MHz, not always reliable, and the processor may not need to be at maximum!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

The outside temperature  is 20-25 degrees and as for the location it is situated in an open area(it is more than  30 cm away from anything in all directions).

Graphics card is gtx1080

gpu temps at idle is around 32 C and under load it stays at around 75 C

I tried going into bios to disable multi core enhancement but I couldn't find it.On my past computer I used throttlestop to lower turbo boost for better temps but I wanted to know if these temperatures are safe for long use.

HP Recommended

don't touch anything don't worry!
If you are playing for a very, very long time, just try to take short breaks, a little coffee!
If the computer does not make a plane noise, everything is fine!
Regularly check the vents, if not too much dust, inside.
from the moment the pc is not overheated for too long, you have nothing to fear

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I tried few other games such as rust and path of exile and even thought I am playing at highest specs my cpu barely reaches

80 C (in rust) and stays mostly at 70-75 C (2-3 hours period) . I don't know the reason why but warzone runs really hot.I will try few other games and post them but I don't think they will ever reach 90 C.

Thanks for the feedback,I guess I was a little paranoid because 2 months ago in my previous pc(not HP),my motherboard and cpu got burned.So ever since then I am always checking my temps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.