Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy TE01-0020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Interested in installing new graphics card for video editing. Concerned about installing new power supply and graphics card

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You can do a discrete graphics card because the motherboard (MB) has a PCIe x16 slot.

Your PC shipped with a SFF 180 watt power supply. This is your graphics card upgrade roadblock .

The power supply and MB have HP proprietary connections. You cannot install a more powerful retail power supply in this PC.

A power supply upgrade has to come from HP unless you can find a power supply wiring adapter to go from a standard 24 pin MB connection to HP's proprietary MB connections.

HP is only offering a 180 watt power supply option at HP Part Surfer (Link) for this PC.

REgards

HP Recommended

I made this PSU swap from 180W to the approved HP 400W PSU.   The part number to use on the HP Store link above is HP P/N 942332-001  (for US power).   It was around $80 and shipped in 3 days.   It will come with an additional 6+2 pci power connector for graphic boards that require additional power.  Be sure to check that the card you want to install is rated for under 400W.  Many cards require bigger supply and you will NOT be able to find one that will fit this motherboard since its proprietary. 400W is the max you will be able to upgrade to.

However you can install a Nvidia GTX 1650 Super and get amazing performance.  It will need to use the 6 pin connector from the new 400W supply.  You can also use the GTX 1650 and will not need the 6 pin connector but the performance is less on that version. Not recommended after the trouble of upgrading.   Also... be careful to be sure the card you select will fit.  Check the dimensions before you buy it.   If in doubt use the smaller cards with one fan. The larger cards have more features like the fan remaining off until you are gaming, The smaller cards the fan remains on all the time adds to noise factor if you are concerned about that.  There are videos online that show how to change the PSU.  Very easy just follow the video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2n2Z6JJJ7E   

Learn how to replace the power supply for HP 280 G5 MT, HP ENVY TE01-000, Pavilion TP01-000, TG01-000, HP M01-D0000, F0000 Desktop. For other helpful videos go to http://hp.com/supportvideos or http://youtube.com/hpsupport. More support options for your HP device are available at ...
HP Recommended

@Jdeblase,

Thank you for the information. I added it to my database.😃              @Grzwacz  this is "new" today !!

HP PSU cross ref.JPG

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi @wb2001,

I messed up here.

The 400 watt PSU upgrade option is good to go.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Grzwacz,

I did include the 400W.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi @wb2001 ,

I forgot about the 400 watt PSU option.

I messed up.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.