Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Z220 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Trying to install Nvidia NVS 310 graphics card into a HP Z220 SFF. Tried both pci slots, disabled the on

board display port in devices. No matter what I try the hard drive spins up for a few seconds but 

system does not boot. Take card out and system boots. It is a new card but I do not have another

system to try card in.  Wondered if there is anything else I can try before assuming the Nivida card 

is bad. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Something must be wrong with the card.  Shoulda worked with no problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Check the BIOS and see if it has a legacy mode and secure boot setting.

If it has, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot.  See this info link below...your BIOS may look different but these settings would be the ones you need to change.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200/

On HP PC's with legacy mode and secure boot BIOS settings, you can't install a video card other than one from HP that was offered in your PC as an option without changing those settings.

If your PC does not have a legacy mode and secure boot setting, unfortunately I don't know why the card isn't working.

That is an older card that should have no problem working in that model if it doesn't have a legacy mode/secure boot BIOS setting.

HP Recommended

Great HP document  did not find this when trying to search the HP site. Unfortunately when I checked the settings legacy mode was already enabled and secure boot was disabled. 

HP Recommended

Something must be wrong with the card.  Shoulda worked with no problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.