Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp pavilion 500-a60
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Using hp pavilion 500-a60. 3yrs. old.  Just went to uverse internet.  Several times a minute for 10 seconds I loose connect to internet and thin lines flickiering on screen.  Att tech says problem is w/my computer.  It was suggested it was to old for higher internet speeds.  Currently running @16.75kbps.  Also virus/malware problem.  I did find some maleware and it  was quarentined.  Do I have to old a computer or is there a processer problem, virus problem?  Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there @Packie33,

May the Forums be with you!  I understand that you are having issues with your internet connection.  I am happy to give you a hand with this.

First in answer to the one assertion made about your system being too old for a high speed connection, that is incorrect. Your computer came configured with either Windows 8, or 8.1. Computers that were around when Windows 98 came out were capable of using high speed internet of one type or another.

A more valid concern is what is happening on your computer, either with the hardware or the virus/malware issues you described.

I would suggest you go through this document first: HP PCs - Slow Internet Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎, but for now refrain from Step 7. You can try your ISP again later.  

Depending on whether your connection is wireless or cabled try one of these documents: 

HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wired Home Networks (Windows 10)

After you have verified everything and if your connection is still slow, then try contacting your ISP again.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi there @Packie33,

May the Forums be with you!  I understand that you are having issues with your internet connection.  I am happy to give you a hand with this.

First in answer to the one assertion made about your system being too old for a high speed connection, that is incorrect. Your computer came configured with either Windows 8, or 8.1. Computers that were around when Windows 98 came out were capable of using high speed internet of one type or another.

A more valid concern is what is happening on your computer, either with the hardware or the virus/malware issues you described.

I would suggest you go through this document first: HP PCs - Slow Internet Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎, but for now refrain from Step 7. You can try your ISP again later.  

Depending on whether your connection is wireless or cabled try one of these documents: 

HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10)

HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wired Home Networks (Windows 10)

After you have verified everything and if your connection is still slow, then try contacting your ISP again.

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

@Packie33,

As a sidebar comment, uverse internet is a 6MB service,  according to their webpage.  As it's also ATT, (phone), it's ASDL, with a Service Central . The distance from this central will affect your speed.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I'm sorry I took so long to reply.  I have been traveling and in between trips I decided to drop computer off at local repair shop and just got the final verdict on my problem.  Also,  I meant mbps not kbps.  I did  some of trouble shoot suggestions and that

made me feel problem was  w/computer.

Repair shop said problem was that my onboard ethernet driver was not compatible w/windows 10 which I upgraded to from 8.1 about mid July a couple wks. before free upgrade ended.  So rolled it back to 8.1 even though I told them thought was having same problem before upgrade and was using a low speed dsl and when att installed u-verse they found problem in box on pole that had to fixed before install u-verse.   I didn't care if used 8.1 or 10.   Well, got computer home and still same problem.  Repair person came to house and determined that the ethernet driver used for wired connection  was failing.  If unplug wire and use wireless,  computer works fine.  I'm going to use it wireless.

I won't reccommend this repair shop.  I delt w/three different people and I don't think they listened to my discription of problem or didn't pass it on to one another very well.  I did learn some things and hopefully next time if I have network issues I will be better at troubleshooting my own problem.

I want to thank you for responding to my issue and pointing in a helpfull direction.

Thank you, Packie33

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.