Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 700-210xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an older (2014) Envy 700-210xt desktop, that I believe has a 16GB mSATA drive in addition to a 1TB hard drive. I think the mSATA is supposed to speed up the computer. I now want to replace the conventional hard drive with a SSD. If I clone the hard drive onto the SSD, will I still get the benefit on the mSATA drive? Is there anything additional that I have to do because of the mSATA?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

before you install the ssd and clone the drive you need to enter the intel RST program and disable the mSATA "Cache Module"

then power down and remove the mSATA module from the system, then power up and confirm the system boots normally

the intel cache driver redirects the read/writes through the slower mSATA module and if not disabled before you remove the cache module the system will not boot once the module is removed

once the cache module is removed, you can then install the SSD drive and clone the drives

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

HP specs for your listed model DO NOT SHOW A CACHE MODULE OPTION, they show a 256GB SSD as a primary drive option , and a secondary Hard Drive as a option.

please confirm your model number,....

also this model does not use a mSATA ssd connector it uses a M.2 connector for a NVME based SSD in the 2280 form factor

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03975089

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-info

HP Recommended

I checked my original HP email and it listed the 16 GB mSATA cache; also Windows Device Manager shows a SanDisk SDSA6DM-016G-1006 disk in addition to the 1TB hard drive. My model number is Envy 700-210xt (E9G99AV#ABA). The computer also has Intel Rapid Storage Technology software.

I assume the small mSATA will not be needed with the new 1TB SSD; but will I need to do anything extra after I clone the original hard drive to the SSD? Thanks.

HP Recommended

before you install the ssd and clone the drive you need to enter the intel RST program and disable the mSATA "Cache Module"

then power down and remove the mSATA module from the system, then power up and confirm the system boots normally

the intel cache driver redirects the read/writes through the slower mSATA module and if not disabled before you remove the cache module the system will not boot once the module is removed

once the cache module is removed, you can then install the SSD drive and clone the drives

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.