Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello and thanks in advance for any help.

i have an old HP3130 desktop - which works perfectly.  I ordered 8Gb (2 x 4Gb) mem sticks and was wondering which slots they should be installed into, and if I can also keep the 2 x 2 Gb modules that are already installed?

thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@LJ601 , welcome to the forum.

According to the information that I could find on your computer (HP Pro 3130), it appears that the maximum memory is 16 GB.  I suggest that you install the new memory in Sockets 1 and 3 (Black).  I am not certain if the 2 x 2 GB will work with them, but you can install them in Sockets 2 and 4 (Blue) to see what happens.  This won't cause any damage to the motherboard if it doesn't work.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thanks - but it doesn't work.

This is what I've tried so far;

Installed mem is 2 x 2Gb in the blue slots.  Works OK.

I purchased 2 x 4Gb modules (correct spec), and have tried them as pairs in slot 1 and three (black), and replacing the 2 x @Gb.  All to no avail, the PC won't even fire up!

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @LJ601!

Is your computer the Microtower, Minitower or Small Form Factor?  This may make a difference.

HP Recommended

SFF unit.

HP Recommended

@LJ601, it appears that all versions of your computer have 4 memory sockets and a maximum of 16 GB.  The only other thing that I can think of is to update your BIOS if there is an update.  This can make a major difference in newer computers.

HP Recommended

Ok thanks I'll try that.

HP Recommended

Win10 64 bit, won't let me run the .exe file.

I've tried removing all OS security settings to no avail. 

HP Recommended

Hi, @LJ601 

There are a few models in the HP line of business desktop PC's where it is very hard to find the right memory--even though you have bought what seems to be the correct specs.

Yours is one of them, along with the 6000 Pro, 8000 Elite and 8100 Elite series.

You have to buy low density memory, and that is often never described as a specification.

See if you can get this memory part number in Australia...Patriot Signature 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model PSD34G13332

https://www.newegg.com/patriot-4gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820220480?Item=N82E16820220480

Another model that would work is this...G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-8gb-240-pin-ddr3-sdram/p/N82E16820231422

You can read through this discussion and the link I posted within the discussion.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktops-Archive-Read-Only/Memory-upgrade-for-8100-elite-CMT-with-Twin...

I can almost guarantee you, that is the root cause of your dilemma.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.