Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I am working on a similar problem with a keyboard that will not work. Have narrowed it down to a driver not starting. Have you been able to solve your keyboard issue and log on to windows.  If you haven't been able to log at all. If you have access to a wireless keyboard plug that in and try to log on. This what I have had to do in order to work my wired hp keyboard not working issue.

Update: I created a new post to review my keyboard not working issue and actions taken on HP support community that you may wish to read over: HERE

1) 2014 HP Pavilion laptop Win10 updated 64bit AMD8 15-n088ca
2) 2018 HP Pavilion desktop Win10 updated 64bit AMD12 PC-570-p059
HP Recommended

that is the problem the keyboard will work on other computers have tried wireless but it will not work I get to the screen for the password and cannot put the password in the on screen keyboard will not let me put the password in also it show the dots but it tells me to enter the password and that is all I get

HP Recommended

If you have a working mouse or touchpad or touchscreen try the ease of access at bottom right next to power symbols on windows log on screen and activate on screen keyboard. See if you can log on that way. [Ok just saw that you on screen keyboard does not seem to be working either in a previous message]

If you are able to log on and your keyboard will not work see if you can install the wireless keyboard (in case pc isn't loading drivers for first time before windows starts). If you can try a wired or wireless mouse. Sometimes windows seems to freeze/hang as it is doing something in the background so if none of this is working maybe leave the computer for 30 minutes and try again.

If nothing is working. Shut off computer. Disconnect all power cables then hold down power for 30 seconds and leave off for at least 10 minutes. This is supposed to discharge your pc power and may help.  Then turn on the power and continously press 'esc' key, keep rapidly pressing escape key. A menu should pop up with several options, see if you can navigate menu with keyboard arrows up and down. You may have to use the function keys F2 = system diagnostics. If so navigate through menu till you find a component test and keyboard test and run the test. If you can do this the the problem is with windows.

Note: sometimes the password and pin settings change. ie: your trying to enter a password but windows wants the pin number or vice versa.

HP Recommended

Hi!, @Grannyandy :

You can try with ... https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

Too, if check, with ... https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-slimline-400-000-desktop-pc-s...

Kind Regards !.
Have a nice day !.
@Maké (Technical Advisor Premium - HP Program Top Contributor).
Provost in HP Spanish Public Forum ... https://h30467.www3.hp.com/
HP Recommended

@grannyandy

Here is something you can try. Getting windows to start STARTUP REPAIR or SAFE MODE; Read over this doc from Microsoft Support HERE. Since you can't get your keyboard at sign in to work follow this procedure. I have copied/paste here from the miscrosoft webpage.

Before you enter safe mode, you need to enter the Windows Recovery Environment (winRE). To do this, you will repeatedly turn your device off, then on:

1. Hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  2. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  3. On the first sign that Windows has started (for example, some devices show the manufacturer’s logo when restarting) hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  4. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  5. When Windows restarts, hold down the power button for 10 seconds to turn off your device.
  6. Press the power button again to turn on your device.
  7. Allow your device to fully restart. You will enter winRE.

Now that you are in winRE, you will follow these steps to take you to safe mode: [see linked doc under 'from a black or blank screen']  NOTE: "If you’ve encrypted your device, you’ll need your BitLocker key to start in safe mode." In WinRE you can go into advanced  options and try Startup Repair or start in Safe Mode.

If none of this works you may have to create a bootable repair disk on another computer that would be bootable on your pc. If you haven't already done so create a profile and post a detailed question on Miscrosft Support Community  and find me there RichardVV. This is a better place to solve this issue if it is a windows, software or driver problem.

HP Recommended

I want to thank everyone for your help but decided to buy a new computer tired of fighting this one 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.