Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen Obelisk 875-0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just upgraded my power supply from a 500 psu to a corsair RM 750x, but nothing happens when I turn it on.  All of the connections seem good.  (I made sure to turn it on in the back of the psu.)  I checked the psu with a paper clip to make sure it's working, and it is.  I cannot figure out what I did wrong.  When I hooked it up, I used the primary HD hookup on my HDD since the SSD is on the motherboard and doesn't look like you hook it up to anything.  That's the only thing I can think of that might be wrong.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ashlin,

Thank you for the update.

I suggest you contact support once and check.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Ashlin,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting to Windows after upgrading the power supply.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Have you checked with the original power supply? Is the computer still booting normally with the original power supply?

Meanwhile, if the computer is not booting after upgrading or changing the power supply it means that the motherboard is not getting the power from the power supply. I recommend you check the connections again and make sure that the power supply is supported by the motherboard.

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for replying, Fossette.  I've checked all of the connections numerous times, tried the original psu, checked and re-checked connections after putting it all back together, and absolutely nothing happens when I turn it on.  I even checked the on/off switch.  I am assuming that I somehow fried the motherboard or damaged it in some way even while using an antistatic wristband.  I appreciate you responding.  Looks like I'll be getting a new motherboard.  😞  

HP Recommended

@Ashlin,

Thank you for the update.

I suggest you contact support once and check.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did as you suggested, and the woman I talked to was very patient and went over everything she could think of.  I don't think that there was anything that I hadn't already tried, but she really tried to help, so I'm grateful for that.  Still doesn't work but I appreciate your assistance.

HP Recommended

@Ashlin,

You're welcome!

As you mentioned, it may the motherboard. I see that you have already tested the power supply and it seems to be working fine.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, I believe it is the motherboard because every other component was tested, have you been able to replace the motherboard? I would like to keep in touch to see if we can fix the issue.

HP Recommended

I'm pretty sure that the motherboard was fried.  When I turned it on for the first time after putting in the new power supply, the power supply flashed and after that, nothing.    I've been in and out of computers a hundred times, take precautions in regards to static, etc., and have never had that happen before.  I saw a flash of light coming from the power supply and that was it.  Anyway, since changing the power supply voided the warranty, I would need to buy a new motherboard to get the computer running again.  Instead of doing that, I bought a new motherboard and case and built myself a new computer using the processor, video card, memory, etc. from the HP computer.  I hope it's ok that I wrote that here.  I'm quite happy with the new computer. Lots of air flow.  Just too bad that I needed to be reminded in this way that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I hope that you get yours straightened out, but yeah, it's probably the motherboard.

HP Recommended

What motherboard did you get? Did you use the same psu? Do you think it will be compatible with the HP omen case? I’ve been 6 months without a gaming pc and sadly I learned the same lesson.

HP Recommended

6 months is a long time without your gaming pc.  You can probably replace the motherboard by getting the same one through HP.  That would save you from any further cost.  Perhaps talk to their service center.  You can sometimes find a cheaper used/almost new one on Ebay.  Maybe even a new one if you keep looking.  If you're looking for a different motherboard, you can look up the specs for your HP processor, go to PCPartsPicker, and find one that is compatible.  You can find all the specs for your HP through your HP account dashboard.

I kept the cpu and video card from HP, and went with the Rog Strix Z390-e gaming motherboard.  It will not fit in the HP case, as it is full ATX.  I wanted a larger case for greater air flow anyway, so I decided to go ahead and make those changes.  I also added water cooling.  

Hope you're up and running soon.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.