Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq Elite 8300 Base Model Convertible Minitower PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I updated my Elite 8300 with an i7-3770. I have the latest BIOS (3.08). My OS is Windows 7 x64, updated with MS ESU.

If in the BIOS the hypertreading option is ON, when I run CPU-z it shows 2 cores and 4 threads ! ! ! How is possible ?

And if I set, in the BIOS, the hypertreading option as OFF, CPU-z shows 4 cores but only 4 threads instead of 8  ! ! !

How can I fix this problem ?

Thank you in advance !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally managed to find what is the cause of the problem in Win7 and therefore to fix it.
I executed MSCONFIG, then I went into "Boot" ---> "Advanced settings" and I unchecked the check box "number of processors" (there were 4, not 8 ) and all the others check boxes.

Once saved the changes and restarted the system, on Win7 CPU-z saw 4 processors and 8 threads ! Finally ! ! ! ! 😊

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @zatster 

Wow! That is strange. What does Task Manager show?

Try resetting the BIOS to defaults and then remove the MB battery for a while to reset CMOS. Reinstall the battery.

HP does not give much tweaking options in the BIOS. Maybe the CPU has issues. One way to verify is to check the CPU in a different and compatible PC.

Try a different version of CPU-Z.

HP Recommended

Hi @bill_To , I'll try your tips and I'll let you know what happens. Thank you !

HP Recommended

Hi, @zatster 

How many processors are showing up in the device manager under the Processors device manager category?

There should be 8 listed if things are working correctly (4 cores + 4 threads).

HP Recommended

The device manager shows 4 processors.

CPUid (the last version but also the old ones) shows 4 cores and just 4 threads, not 8

HP Recommended

Hi

Four cores and four threads equal 8 detected logical processors.

How many logical processors are detected in Task Manager? Task Manager should show 8 logical processors on a four core CPU.

I have an 8 core CPU showing 16 logical processors in Task Manager.

HP Recommended

Hi  @Bill_To and everybody, sorry for my late reply. I had a very busy week.

Task manager shows 4 logical processors.

In the BIOS i did the "Default settings" (Factory settings),  then I saved the settings. Nothing changed.

I continue to have the same issue.  So, 2 cores and 4 threads using the BIOS "Factory defaul settings", 4 Cores and 4 threads when I choose to disable the hypertreading.

I did some performance tests and they are according to the cores/threads detected by CPU-z. I got the half value with the defaul settings, the best value (the double) disabling the hyperthreading in the BIOS.

Next step will be to try on a Windows 10 system. I have an unused SSD, so i will do this test next week.

Maybe the issue happens just in my "Windows 7 Pro 64 bits", who knows.

I'll write again when I'll do the tests on W10

Thank to to you all for your support 😘

I

HP Recommended

I finally did a test using Windows 10 and everything worked perfect !   4 Cores and 8 Threads !

So, for some unknown reason , on W7 i had this strange behaviour.

Could be interesting to understand why this happens on Win 7.

Cheers !

HP Recommended

I finally managed to find what is the cause of the problem in Win7 and therefore to fix it.
I executed MSCONFIG, then I went into "Boot" ---> "Advanced settings" and I unchecked the check box "number of processors" (there were 4, not 8 ) and all the others check boxes.

Once saved the changes and restarted the system, on Win7 CPU-z saw 4 processors and 8 threads ! Finally ! ! ! ! 😊

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.