Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Monitor shows no input and then shows monitor going to sleep
HP Recommended

I'm also having this problem but strangely it seems to only happen when the base unit is upright. 

IF I LAY THE BASE UNIT ON ITS SIDE IT IS FINE!

So far anyway. Would love to know if this works for anyone else.

HP Recommended

i am having the same issue as everyone else in here! turn pc on, monitor goes to sleep. brief screen pops up 'vga no signal input' this is BS! i took the entire thing back to best buy, they could not figure it out. and i am talking the geek squad!  its also a hp pavilion. this is just plain crazy. i can't do any of the things to it cuz i cant get it to turn on. even went and bought new vga cables yesterday. it worked! YESTERDAY. now it is back to not working again and this has been 

going on since maybe july of this year. i am really pissed off and very frustrated. you can't get a straight answer or solution from anyone on here. nothing works. i can't even try anything tomorrow, since best buy forgot to give me my power cord for my monitor. they're shipping it to me, since it is quite a ways away from where i am. even took the tower up on sunday. they said it was fine. i just don't know. i just need help..... please.

HP Recommended
Bad power supply! Replace it, even if its new it can still be faulty.
HP Recommended

no it did not solve the problem, best buy tried with a new supply cord.. still does same thing.

HP Recommended
The power supply in the tower needs to be replaced not the power cord for the monitor.
HP Recommended

are you sure? cuz i thought they checked that at best buy. do you know where to get one? are they all universal?

so upset!

HP Recommended
Tower power supplies are universal, try to install a 400 or 500 watt ps. That fixed mine both times i had that problem.
HP Recommended
So whats the verdict?
HP Recommended

I have had this problem several times with my HP pavilion, the monitor goes to sleep on start-up, before log in. Usually I've found that either unplugging the whole system and then powering it back up, or a system restore (from the start-up repair) fixes the problem.

Today however, I had the usual symptons, 'Monitor going to sleep' just before log in screen and tried both the "solutions" mentioned, that have previously worked for me on several occasions. Unplugging and plugging back in again did nothing, and both the available system restore points failed (I can't remember the error name/number but it was the same for both). After these didn't work, I tried everything I could think of, all the available Start-up repair options, I even took apart the computer and cleaned it all out... to no avail. 

At this point, I was starting to panic, thinking that my wallet was about to become very thin, and then I remembered something I'd seen on the HP website (linked in this thread in 2011) and one of the solutions that was posted there was to press the Suspend button twice.

At the time I'd offhanded it, thinking how could anyone be so silly as to have powered off their pc in sleep mode or similar... But I tried it and it worked, the cursor came up first, showing the loading symbol and then the pc slowly loaded up straight to the log in screen.

Anyway, I'm sure this will be useless to most, but seeing as over 43,000 people have looked at this, it might solve at least one persons troubles.

Press "Suspend" twice (it's the button with the quarter moon, on my keyboard that's the function button Fn + F2).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.