Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I fitted a new power supply to my HP pavillion tower today, but it did NOT solve the problem. However when I opened the case again I noticed the fan on the graphics card was hardly moving and the heat sink was very hot. I think it was cutting out due to overheating. Turned out the heat sink fins were full of dust. I've just blown all of the dust out and put it back together, and the fan is turning again. I'm convinced I've fixed it now. £50 wasted on a power supply - though it is quiter than the old one.

HP Recommended

Power supplies are  inexpensive....I purchased mine at Compusa/TigerDirect for 39.99 and replaced it myself.   I had my HP  for only three years before the power supply went.  You may want to increase your watts to the power supply as well, and vacuum out any dust that accumulates near the fan. You should be able to find a technician to replace it for you; it takes about ten to 15 minutes.

Good Luck

HP Recommended

Thanks man! I had the problem on my HP Pavilion a68114y and COMPAQ Pressario CQ5500Y. I noticed that the Memory modules were lose! Thanks alot. You saved me $670!

HP Recommended

WILL TRY THAT

HP Recommended

The cause of the problem is that somehow the BOIS setting for the video has changed. I have a DX2400 and I encountered this problem.

I took sometime for the penny to drop but the problem was that the video signal was being trasmitted to a different port. My system was normally set to VGA. I performed a Microsoft update (which didn't cause the problem) ad hence I had a new giant door stop.

The solution is you have to reset the Video setting in the BIOS. It took several attempts to get to the BIOS by powering on the system and hitting the <F10> key and eventually I succeeded to the BIOS. Scroll right to the third option (Advanced) and note the video will be different from what it is supposed to be. Scroll down to that setting and modify it to your video adapter type. Scrool right to the last option and <Save> and <Exit>. The system will reboot automatically and it will show the BIOS screen and boot up with the signal going to the video option selected.

If you are unsure of the video type, select the option to load the Factory Default Setting (provided you are uing the video provided when the system was pruchased.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation.

HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion. I turn on the computer and the monitor starts scanning and then stops, it then says its going in sleep mode

HP Recommended

@brybec
Thank you for showing your interest in the HP Forums,
I’d like to help 🙂

As I understand the monitor is going to sleep soon after it's turned on,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help resolve your concern,

Although, to provide an accurate solution I need a few more details:

What is the product number of your computer? (please don't share your serial number on a public post)

When was the last time it worked without these issues?

Have you attempted to connect your PC to an alternate monitor as suggested in the previous posts? if yes, does the other monitor work?

Which Computer do you have connected to this HP monitor?

In the meantime, please try the below steps:

After turning on the computer, a few initial startup screens or text can be seen as the computer starts. However, the Windows desktop never opens. Instead, a message about signal opens from the monitor.

When this happens, the display resolution used by Windows has probably been set to a resolution that cannot be used by the monitor. Use the following steps to see if the monitor can display screens from safe mode:

1. Cycle the power on the monitor as follows:

1. Turn off the monitor. The power light on the monitor should be off. Leave the computer turned on.

2. Unplug the power cord.

3. Wait 5 seconds.

4. Plug in the power cord.

For more steps, Click here

Let me know how that pans out,
I hope you have a good day ahead,
And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.
Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Same cause how to fix that is the video card is damage
HP Recommended

Mine's having a similar problem. When it boots up, the light on the monitor goes solid, then dims and starts flashing like it's gone to sleep. I didn't have another monitor to check, but I hooked the  monitor to my laptop with the same cord and it works, so that eliminates the monitor/cord. I replaced the video with the one from my other pc. I took it to a repair shop for a free diagnostic. They said it was the motherboard. I ordered a motherboard from ebay and put that in there. Same exact problem, no change. Some of the solutions to go to bios or to go to control panel to change video settings obviously aren't going to work if the monitor won't even boot. I was thinking the power supply possibly, which is brand new, but I saw one reply where he changed the power supply and it didn't fix. Any ideas? (won't boot into bios with F10 either)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.