Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Omen 25L
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hey so i have a HP  8704 motherboard and 8GB ram 2666mhz and i want to upgrade to 16GB 3200MHZ ram and i dont know if my motherboard can handle it plz help (my pc is also a prebuilt)

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@jimmy72 

The published specs say your model can handle DDR4 3200 memory, 2x8GB -- for a total of 16GB.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Yes the Omen 25L can run faster memory but not 3200MHz. It uses DDR4-2933 at a JEDEC rating, not XMP. HP's do not have XMP in the bios which is the biggest mistake users make. Those ram modules are not as common either.  You need to do your research and make sure of what you're getting before you buy.  Even then, some users still report down-clocked modules where those models claimed to to be compatible.

This has been an ongoing complaint ever since the 25L was released.

Example: some of the Crucial models that their memory finder claims to work, but doesn't.

Dorado motherboard (SSID: 8704) specs... https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-desktop-pc-25l-gt11-0000i/33802597/document/c06610493

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.