Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP AIO f0018cy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently found my HDD slowing down a lot and staying at 100% utilization. When I am downloading programs, I cannot keep anything open except microsoft store to download it. The computer takes about 7 minutes to boot up. I researched how to make it faster, and people said purchase a SSD. My friend bought me one, but I am not sure how to put it in my computer. The SSD is a HP S750 2.5" 1TB. I saw that it would erase my data, my apps have backed progress from the provider, and all my pictures and files I backed up onto my 2TB external HDD. I already have a windows product key leftover, so all my stuff is backed up. I will put links to the PC and the SSD below.

HP S750 1TB 3D NAND SATA III 2.5" Internal Solid State Disk SSD - Up to 560 MB/s (16L54AA#ABA) - New...

HP 24-f0018cy All-in-One Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @lethalz 

You can install that SSD in place of the old HDD but you will also need an adapter like this since the old HDD is 3.5 inch and the SSD is only 2.5 inch.   https://www.amazon.com/Valuegist-Internal-Mounting-Bracket-Adapter/

If you are only removing the old HDD, no data on that drive will be erased obviously. You stated you backed up everything you needed to an external drive anyway so you are covered.

Here is the manual that gives a vague look with pictures on how to access the drive. Scroll to page 13... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05933340.pdf

You have two options on clean installing Windows to the new SSD from scratch (so to speak).

• You have the Microsoft OS direct from them without the HP stuff... Create media Windows 10 and an 8 up to 32GB USB pen drive can be used. If you do not use a microsoft account to sign in with, simply disconnect the internet first, then install windows. It will give you an option to create a Local Acct.
  • Or you can use the HP Cloud Recovery tool. 32GB pen drive required. HP Cloud Recovery Tool (how to use) 

You do not need to know your activation key now days. Windows will auto activate once its connected to the internet.

Let me know what else I can help with.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.