Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 600 G4 Desktop Mini PC IDS Base Model
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PC makes loud siren tone when sleep mode starts. 

siren stops when mouse/keyboard restarts windows.  Very repeatable issue.  Only started in recent days.  Few weeks ago a wifi/bluetooth card was installed but can't see that this is relevant.  The fan is working ok.  Processor core temperature around 35C.

I can't see anything obvious in the event viewer, but advice on what to look for will be helpful.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Take a look in the BIOS Advanced tab.  The alarm after power loss might be enabled.

Here is a BIOS simulator for your PC

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06527332.pdf

Yours is the first I have heard of  in a long time that still has a piezoelectric buzzer. You should be able to disable it. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I seem to have 'fixed' the siren, as no longer occuring - fyi, it was from the speaker not a piezo, as I pulled the speaker connector to check.

I now realise that the deskpro does not enter 'sleep' mode on the power timeout, only if I select Sleep from the power off menu option.

I'm having a look at the event viewer and all that is happening at the power timeout is:

event ID 7040 The start type of the Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service service was changed from auto start to demand start. (earliest)

event ID 263  A pointer device has no information about the monitor it is attached to.

event ID 267 Touch/Touchpad Hardware Quality Assurance verification succeeded. (last)

So I guess there is something preventing the timeout sleep from happening?  The monitors are being switched off correctly.

I had a look at the bios before the original post and didnt' consider there was a solution there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.