Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop - M01-F1033wb

so as the title suggests i put a intel i7 10700f into the MO1-f1033wb but its stock cooler is terrible for the strong i7 overheating so much that the computer is shutting off to prevent damage can i put a custom cooler in there that would fit and wouldnt be hard to install?

thanks in advance Rusty-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RustedLegend,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Sounds like your HP Desktop - M01-F1033wb (9EE50AA) requires a beefier heatsink/cooling fan combo, such as this inexpensive (<$14) "CPU Heatsink Fan 95W for HP Pavilion Intel 4-pin LGA 1200" example as sold via eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394282617885?hash=item5bcd134c1d:g:xXkAAOSw4RFjRNf4&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8D....

Mind you, this a relatively easy fix, that is, if you are comfortable removing your existing heatsink/fan combo, (carefully) cleaning and applying fresh thermal paste on your processor.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

@RustedLegend,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Sounds like your HP Desktop - M01-F1033wb (9EE50AA) requires a beefier heatsink/cooling fan combo, such as this inexpensive (<$14) "CPU Heatsink Fan 95W for HP Pavilion Intel 4-pin LGA 1200" example as sold via eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394282617885?hash=item5bcd134c1d:g:xXkAAOSw4RFjRNf4&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8D....

Mind you, this a relatively easy fix, that is, if you are comfortable removing your existing heatsink/fan combo, (carefully) cleaning and applying fresh thermal paste on your processor.

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

hello @NonSequitur777 i failed to mention after i upgraded my cpu and got the best thermal paste i could find in amazon and did a X pattern with it to cover the whole cpu then reintsalled the stock cooler that came with the pc and for 20 minutes it was fine then the shut downs started happening i bought a second tube of thermal past (cleaning the cpu and cooler before reapplying) and it still shutdown after 20 minutes leading me to think its a cooler and not a thermal paste problem. and for the fan i have yet to look at it so after im done typing this ima check it out.

EDIT: okay i have looked at the cpu cooler that is the exact same one that is currently in my pc and its crashing im not sure if would be strong enough to cool it down

HP Recommended

@RustedLegend,

I wasn't suggesting it is a thermal paste issue, I was talking about a simple heatsink upgrade.  Come to think of it, if you upgraded your processor from an i3-10100 to an i7-10700F, the TDP (total design power) didn't change at all: 65 watt for both, which should mean that your replacement processor should run about as hot as the previous one. The fact that your i7-10700F is running as hot as you mentioned is puzzling to me.

At this point, I would take a closer look at your i7-10700F.  To that end, I would recommend downloading and running the "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool" from here: Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

what should I look for? temperature and usage? also you previously mentioned about putting a big ol cooler in it and how you had to move to back fan to the outside the case for it to work? oh and could you recommend a low wattage CPU cooler that is more adequate at cooling then the stock one?

HP Recommended

@RustedLegend,

The only time I recall mentioning the equivalent of a 'big ol cooler' in one of my threads, is here: Solved: Upgrading HP ProDesk 600 G3 MT - Page 3 - HP Support Community - 8544105, and this pertained to an HP ProDesk 600 G3 MT (and the next "G4" upgrade) -different desktops, different processors.  And because of the size of this over-sized heatsink, I had to move the internal cooling fan to the outside.  All of this doesn't apply to your desktop.

I recommended the beefier LGA1200/115x heatsink/cooling fan combo in my first response. Look, when it comes to heatsink upgrades, I gave you my best guess based on my experience with heatsinks. It may work, or it may not.  Often, you have to try out several things before finding the best/better cooling performance. Btw, for your particular desktop/issue, I could not find any HP recommendations/guidelines.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

yes that was "big ol cooler" I was referring to and I will look into that CPU cooler. thanks for all the info!

HP Recommended

@RustedLegend,

You are welcome, glad I could assist.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

i failed to mention that i upgraded my gpu from the gtx 1650 to the rtx 3050 since my old gtx didnt boot halo and minecraft anymore since of the meesly 4gb couldnt make things turn on, so could be that the 3050's heat is going up into the cpu cooler and blowing hot air on the cpu

HP Recommended

@RustedLegend,

Thank you for mentioning this important detail: I experienced something similar with my HP ProDesk 600 G3/G4 MT upgrade project, when I installed an HP RTX 3060 12GB and higher performing processors, internal heat accumulation went up.

This was the main reason for upgrading the air-cooling configuration.  To be honest, another reason why I made the cooling fans/heat sink changes was to show "proof of concept", in other words, demonstrating that these radical mods were not just feasible, but would actually drop internal desktop temps quite a lot.

So, looking at your desktop, we see this (passive) air intake where I outlined an additional cooling fan for blowing air in (to be either installed on the in- or outside of the panel:

NonSequitur777_0-1681942608040.png

Please measure the dimensions of the red square I drew. This solution may not work terribly well, if only because this cooling grid is situated right above the desktop's drives bay, and whatever drive(s) you have installed probably partially obstructs air being forced down.

Looking down at your desktop, here:

NonSequitur777_1-1681943111100.png

A much better air-cooling solution would be to drill a hole in the top panel straight above the CPU heatsink/cooling fan combo for a 90mm cooling fan like I have done a number of times on HP legacy upgrade projects such as my HP Z240 Tower Workstation:

NonSequitur777_2-1681943453138.png

Link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrading-an-HP-Z240-Tower-Work...

Just my 2-cents worth.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.