Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen Desktop 870-280
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was wondering if it is possible to swap out the USB 2.0 and 3.0 connections with new 3.1 gen 2 devices?  Will the computer, motherboard, etc, be able to handle the higher thru put?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@hagarwon 

I'm not familiar with sockets plugged into motherboards; I am familiar with cables plugged into sockets on the motherboard.

On my desktop, I have only USB 2.0 sockets, so I bought a plugin card with USB 3.0 jacks on the back and a large socket on the card.  In that socket I have a USB 3.0 cable that attaches to jacks I mounted in my case.  This gives me external USB 3.0 jacks on the front of my case.

As I said, the motherboard is rated for specific USB socket output, if it is USB 2.0, you can't change that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@hagarwon 

What do you mean by swapping the "connections"?

Desktop PCs typically have USB jacks mounted in their cases and those connect, via cables, to sockets on the motherboard.

The sockets on the motherboard are rated for specific USB versions -- 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 -- and while these are backward compatible, they are not forward compatible -- meaning, if the socket is rated for USB 2.0 there is no way to change that to 3.x.

HP Recommended

So, what I meant to say was:  Is it possible to remove the USB 2.0 sockets that are plugged into the motherboard and replace them with USB 3.1 gen 2?  I'd like to remove and upgrade  my USB 2.0 with USB 3.1 gen 2 but I'm not sure the motherboard and other components will be able to handle the increased speed of the new USBs.  

HP Recommended

@hagarwon 

I'm not familiar with sockets plugged into motherboards; I am familiar with cables plugged into sockets on the motherboard.

On my desktop, I have only USB 2.0 sockets, so I bought a plugin card with USB 3.0 jacks on the back and a large socket on the card.  In that socket I have a USB 3.0 cable that attaches to jacks I mounted in my case.  This gives me external USB 3.0 jacks on the front of my case.

As I said, the motherboard is rated for specific USB socket output, if it is USB 2.0, you can't change that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.