2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

swapping USB 3.0 for USB 3.1 gen 2

HP Recommended
Omen Desktop 870-280
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was wondering if it is possible to swap out the USB 2.0 and 3.0 connections with new 3.1 gen 2 devices?  Will the computer, motherboard, etc, be able to handle the higher thru put?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,488 23,427 2,167 5,114
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@hagarwon 

What do you mean by swapping the "connections"?

Desktop PCs typically have USB jacks mounted in their cases and those connect, via cables, to sockets on the motherboard.

The sockets on the motherboard are rated for specific USB versions -- 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 -- and while these are backward compatible, they are not forward compatible -- meaning, if the socket is rated for USB 2.0 there is no way to change that to 3.x.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, what I meant to say was:  Is it possible to remove the USB 2.0 sockets that are plugged into the motherboard and replace them with USB 3.1 gen 2?  I'd like to remove and upgrade  my USB 2.0 with USB 3.1 gen 2 but I'm not sure the motherboard and other components will be able to handle the increased speed of the new USBs.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,488 23,427 2,167 5,114
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@hagarwon 

I'm not familiar with sockets plugged into motherboards; I am familiar with cables plugged into sockets on the motherboard.

On my desktop, I have only USB 2.0 sockets, so I bought a plugin card with USB 3.0 jacks on the back and a large socket on the card.  In that socket I have a USB 3.0 cable that attaches to jacks I mounted in my case.  This gives me external USB 3.0 jacks on the front of my case.

As I said, the motherboard is rated for specific USB socket output, if it is USB 2.0, you can't change that.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation