Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
h8-1020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade the mother board because every time I install a new video card that is greater than the nvidia gt730 the video card beeps as if there is a hardware failure. I get the hp intro screen offering to escape to try other options but escape does not work. I try the video card in another computer and it works. So it seems that the mother board will not support anything greater than my gt730 which does not have the displayport for my new UHD monitor.  I replaced the PSU wiith 450w to support the new gtx1050 ti acx 3.0.  the current board only supports 8g ram and I would like to double that. I have never replaced a mother board before and I am not sure what I am suppose to look for when replacing a mother board. The change out looks simple just need help in selecting right new one. serial:[personal info removed.]Product # QN599AA#ABA

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I suggest building a system from scratch to your own specifications.

Once you do it you will never buy a manufactured desktop PC again.

Swapping in a different motherboard into your HP PC enclosure will not be that simple.

The HP case will not accept the backplane I/O shield from the new motherboard. The memory that you have on the old board won't work with the new motherboard's chipset and BIOS. 

If you can accept not having a backplane I/O shield and needing to source compatible memory for the new motherboard, it can still be done. I will just always become dusty inside and look like a bit of a hack job.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.