Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello, I am trying to find out what is compatible with my hp z440 workstation.  I have tried googling it but I have had no luck. 

What is the best cpu and gpu?

Also if I change the cpu and gpu will I need to change the amount of power? And what could help stop lag and jitter?

any help would be much appreciated, thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@danijel123233,

Welcome to our HP community forum!

You've come to the right place.

An HP Z440 Workstation happened to be my most recent legacy HP upgrade project, and I wondered about the same things.

Here is what I came up with: Solved: Upgrading an HP Z440 Workstation - HP Support Community - 9015888.  

Rest assured: if you are willing to invest some money in upgrading your HP Z440 Workstation, when you are done: no more lag and jitter.

In short, one of the very best processors you can use is the Intel i7-6900K.  Trust me: well worth it.  You can purchase one of these bad boys via an eBay Seller for around $100: I7-6900k for sale | eBay.

If your Workstation isn't fitted with a 700-watt power supply (p/n: 758467-001 / 792339-001), you can purchase one via eBay as well for around $25: 792339-001 for sale | eBay.

With this wattage, assuming your budget would allow it, you could comfortably power an RTX 4070 Ti Super, such as this fine purchase option: Amazon.com: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti Super OC Edition (PCIe 4.0, 16GB GDDR6X, DLSS 3, HDMI 2.1....

If you want to spend less on a quality graphics card but still want to hit ultra settings at 1440p, look no further than an RTX 4060 TiAmazon.com: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 4060 Ti OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 (PCIe 4.0, 8GB GDDR6, DLSS 3, HDMI 2....

And if your HP Z440 Workstation is fitted with a stock 525-watt power supply, you don't even have to upgrade your power supply with this very competitively priced RTX 4060 for under $300: Amazon.com: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4060 8GB GDRR6 Extreme Clock: 2505 MHz 128-Bit HDMI/DP Nvlink TOR....

Make sure you utilize the HP Z440 Workstation's "quad channel" RAM feature: either 4 x 8GB or 4 x 16GB of DDR4 PC4-19200, 2400 MHz, ECC, Registered DIMM (RDIMM), dual-rank (2Rx8), 288-pin RAM st..., and use an M.2 NVMe SSD as your primary (boot) drive.

And there you go, and bye bye to lag & jitter.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@danijel123233,

Welcome to our HP community forum!

You've come to the right place.

An HP Z440 Workstation happened to be my most recent legacy HP upgrade project, and I wondered about the same things.

Here is what I came up with: Solved: Upgrading an HP Z440 Workstation - HP Support Community - 9015888.  

Rest assured: if you are willing to invest some money in upgrading your HP Z440 Workstation, when you are done: no more lag and jitter.

In short, one of the very best processors you can use is the Intel i7-6900K.  Trust me: well worth it.  You can purchase one of these bad boys via an eBay Seller for around $100: I7-6900k for sale | eBay.

If your Workstation isn't fitted with a 700-watt power supply (p/n: 758467-001 / 792339-001), you can purchase one via eBay as well for around $25: 792339-001 for sale | eBay.

With this wattage, assuming your budget would allow it, you could comfortably power an RTX 4070 Ti Super, such as this fine purchase option: Amazon.com: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 4070 Ti Super OC Edition (PCIe 4.0, 16GB GDDR6X, DLSS 3, HDMI 2.1....

If you want to spend less on a quality graphics card but still want to hit ultra settings at 1440p, look no further than an RTX 4060 TiAmazon.com: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX™ 4060 Ti OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 (PCIe 4.0, 8GB GDDR6, DLSS 3, HDMI 2....

And if your HP Z440 Workstation is fitted with a stock 525-watt power supply, you don't even have to upgrade your power supply with this very competitively priced RTX 4060 for under $300: Amazon.com: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4060 8GB GDRR6 Extreme Clock: 2505 MHz 128-Bit HDMI/DP Nvlink TOR....

Make sure you utilize the HP Z440 Workstation's "quad channel" RAM feature: either 4 x 8GB or 4 x 16GB of DDR4 PC4-19200, 2400 MHz, ECC, Registered DIMM (RDIMM), dual-rank (2Rx8), 288-pin RAM st..., and use an M.2 NVMe SSD as your primary (boot) drive.

And there you go, and bye bye to lag & jitter.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

thank you so much this helped me a lot!!!!

HP Recommended

@danijel123233,

You are most welcome and wishing you smooth upgrade sailing!

We'll be here for you when needed.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.