Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE h8-1230z
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am currently running a Nvdia GT545 in my H8-1230z. all of the components are stock from the factory. 

AMD FX (tm) - 8120

8 core processor

3.10 GHZ

8.00 RAM

Win 7 64 bit OS.

Will this system listed above support a better Video card and can the memory be bumped higher than 8Gb?

Thank you.

Shrewlet

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Shrewlet, welcome to the forum.

I will begin with your last question about memory.  Here is the memory upgrade information for the motherboard:

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Four 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
  • Supports DDR3 DIMMs
    • PC3 10600 (DDR3-1333)
    • PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit systems
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit* systems
 note:
32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory

The motherboard supports dual channel architecture.  This means that it is best to install memory modules in pairs.  This may mean that you will have to remove some of the existing memory.  Here is the memory that is recommended by Crucial Memory.

Now, for the video card.  Newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard BIOS.  The last series of cards that didn't require UEFI were the GT 640's.  Depending which power supply unit (PSU) you chose when you bought the computer, you may have to upgrade it, also.  The newer cards require at least 400W to operate properly.  I suggest that you choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your computer.  This will save you some frustration.  They know which of their cards will work.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Shrewlet, welcome to the forum.

I will begin with your last question about memory.  Here is the memory upgrade information for the motherboard:

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Supports DDR3 DIMMs
    • PC3 10600 (DDR3-1333)
    • PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600)
 note:
32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory

The motherboard supports dual channel architecture.  This means that it is best to install memory modules in pairs.  This may mean that you will have to remove some of the existing memory.  Here is the memory that is recommended by Crucial Memory.

Now, for the video card.  Newer video cards require UEFI in the motherboard instead of a standard BIOS.  The last series of cards that didn't require UEFI were the GT 640's.  Depending which power supply unit (PSU) you chose when you bought the computer, you may have to upgrade it, also.  The newer cards require at least 400W to operate properly.  I suggest that you choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your computer.  This will save you some frustration.  They know which of their cards will work.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Greetings,

Your PC supports the following graphics cards:

GeForce GT 530 (2 GB)

• GeForce GT 545 (3 GB)
  • GeForce GTX 550i (1 GB)
  • GeForce GTX 580 (1.5 GB)
  • Radeon HD 6850 (1 GB)
  • Radeon HD 7570 (1 GB)
  • Radeon HD 7570 (2 GB)
  • Radeon HD 7670 (1 GB)
  • Radeon HD 7770 (2 GB)
  • Radeon HD 7950 (3 GB)

You can also expand memory to 16GB.

Dual channel memory architecture
  • Supports DDR3 DIMMs
    • PC3 10600 (DDR3-1333)
    • PC3 12800 (DDR3-1600)

You would have to check existing installed modules and then either add memory to open slots using the exact same type.

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Thank you both for the advice. I will look into getting the items that you recommend and perhaps upgrade the PSU as well.

I appreciate your time!

Shrewlet

HP Recommended

Hi old_geekster,

I have a question in reference to the GT 640 series graphics cards.

My 810-150 came with a GTX 645.

Is the GT vs GTX the determining factor?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Jay_101

@Jay_101 wrote:

Hi old_geekster,

I have a question in reference to the GT 640 series graphics cards.

My 810-150 came with a GTX 645.

Is the GT vs GTX the determining factor?  Not necessarily.  In your instance, HP has their motherboards and video cards made to their specs.  Therefore, they are not the same as a retail version of either.  The video card is made to work with the power supply unit (PSU) that came installed.  Your motherboard came with UEFI.  This means you are not bothered by the limitation.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Stil fuzzy on this.

I installed an EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB graphics card in the 810-150se. It works fine. The 810 is EFI, the 970 is EFI.

I was under the impression a legacy graphics card would not work on UEFI systems. Is this incorrect?

What am I missing? Trying to process the EFI install versus legacy install, what works on what system, and what is incompatible.

It is very confusing.

Need to know this as it is causing anxiety. :indifferent:

HP Recommended

@Jay_101

You have joined the club of confusion. :Wink:

@Jay_101 wrote:

Hi,

Still fuzzy on this.

I installed an EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB graphics card in the 810-150se. It works fine. The 810 is EFI, the 970 is EFI.  This is correct.  You would not be able to install the GTX 970 in a motherboard with a Legacy (standard) BIOS.  As you said, it requires UEFI in the motherboard.  HP began using UEFI in their motherboards in mid-October, 2012.  Your computer was released in 2013 with UEFI.

I was under the impression a legacy graphics card would not work on UEFI systems. Is this incorrect?  Yes, it is correct.  Although, some of the newer cards have a switch (MSI) that will allow them to work with either Legacy or UEFI.  Also, some manufacturers (EVGA) have developed a VBIOS update for their cards.  This allows them to work with a Legacy BIOS.

What am I missing? Trying to process the EFI install versus legacy install, what works on what system, and what is incompatible.  As I said in my previous post, the GT 640 series cards were the last to run with a Legacy BIOS without some changes.  Also, UEFI requires Win 8.0/8.1.

It is very confusing.  I hope this helps you understand the difference in Legacy and UEFI.

Need to know this as it is causing anxiety. :indifferent:  I normally have members choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best video card for their computers.  It is nearly impossible to know which newer cards will work with older computers.

HP Recommended

Hi, I need help, my computer is hp h8-1100z
This is the motherboard model,
Manufacturer: Gigabyte M3970AM-HP
HP: Angelica
Chipset
AMD 970
I need a video card for my Asus 2560 x1440 PB258Q monitor
I currently have the GeForce 730 I can not see in definition 2560x 1440
What is your recommendation. ..?

Mininon

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.