Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just installed an ASMedia XHCI USB 3.0 card on my Z800 Workstation (Windows Pro, 64) and while the device manager shows that the new USB controllers and drivers are working, I now have an error symbol under Other Devices (in Device Manager) showing a non-working "Base System Device."

The Windows 7 Troubleshooter cannot identify the device or drivers.  The hardware IDs are

PCI/VEN_10B5&DEV_8609&SUBSYS_860910B5&REV_BA

PCI/VEN_10B5&DEV_8609&SUBSYS_860910B5

PCI/VEN_10B5&DEV_8609&CC_088000

PCI/VEN_10B5&DEV_8609&CC_0880

Are these possibly phantoms from my removing a firewire card?And if so, how do I fix the problem?  All the devices that I recognize and use (graphics, network adapter, etc) seem to be present and working.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, just thought you'd like to hear what the Support people at High Point said about the error message: basically, they said to ignore it, as long as the USB card worked!  I replied that if this error message (which many people take seriously) is a known issue, perhaps it should be noted as such in the ReadMe, or perhaps they could just make their installer work so that you did not receive a "your new hardware did not install properly" message!

Anyway, thanks for all the time you put in chasing this wild goose!

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is the make and model number for the card?

Did you get a drivers disk for the AsMedia card USB 3.0 card?  Did the drivers get installed successfully?

Depending on the PCI-E USB 3.0 card specifications, you might need to go into the bios and setup the slot function to match the card.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

It's a RocketU 1144a. I installed the driver software from the installation disc and it installed correctly, according to Device Manager.   The installation manual did not say anything about changing the Bios.

What would happen if I disable the Base System Device? I would like to know what it is referring to.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Did you install the card into a PCI-E x4 slot?  Is the slot function set to 4x?

Code 28 is a driver issue.  That is why I asked in the previous post if the PCI-E slot is setup to match the need of the USB 3.0 card.

You should be using PCI-E slot 1 or 3.  You might need to select ROM download in the bios for that particular slot.

Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

The new card--the USB 3.0 card, which Device Manager says is working properly--was installed in PCI Slot 4 (PCI bus 42, device 0, function 0) is what the Details say. After installation it showed up as "your new hardware is ready to use."

According to Device manager, 4 USB ports on that card are working properly.

The problem is that after installing it, I have something showing up in Device Manager called "Other devices/Base System Device"  which is giving the Code 28 error. Its location is given as PCI bus 40, device 0, function 1.  In my first post, I listd the Hardware IDs it is giving me.

Do these refer to some other driver/function I need to download for a vital function, or is it some kind of phantom? Another clue: This mystery "Base System Device" also says it was installed today, (when I installed the RocketU card.)

Also, I'm afraid I don't know how to set a slot function to 4x (or to any value) but again, the new card is not giving the error message.

And I'm not clear about what I would need to do in the BIOs settings.  Please bear in mind that this is a workstation for video editing (using Avid) and at this point the BIOS settings are exactly as prescribed by Avid for optimum function of the software.

Thank you for your ongoing help!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Do you have the card installed in the right slot?

HP Recommended

If the card were in the wrong   slot

a) would it snap in?

b) would the installation software say, upon installation completion "your hardware is installed and ready to use", and

c) would the 4 USB devices (ports) show up in Device Manager as "working properly"?

I can't see why the card would not be in the right slot.  Is there some other test you recommend?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I am just going by what the motherboard specifications indicates for a slot that supports 4x. Snapping in has nothing to do with the card and the slot PCI speed.  You can actually put a 1x or 4x card into a 4x, 8x or 16x slot.

Go into Device Manager and find the find the USB 3.0 card.  Open it up, click on the driver and post the version.

The click on the Details Tab and see if you can discovered the firmware level.  Sometimes it's under Hardware IDs and the end on each line of data. You might have to look at the packaging or the card itself to discover the firmware level.

The lastest posted driver is V1148 and the latest firmware is V12220E. 

HP Recommended

Good morning!

I removed the new card and put back the original firewire card to get a baseline (all systems go) and now am looking at the inside of the computer.  The only available slots to install this USB 3.0 card would be Slot 2 (empty) and Slot 4, if I remove the firewire card.  Slots 3 and 5 are occupied by my 2 NVIDIA graphics cards (FX 3800.)

Are you saying that this 3.0 card will not function if installed in Slots 2 or 4?  And if that's the case, what do you recommend? Unfortunately, I need the USB 3.0 interface in order to extract some crucial data from some very large hard drives.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You probably are having an IRQ sharing issue. Your dual video cards might be causing this issue as well as the firewire card.  VISTSA and Windosw 7 was supposed to solve IRQ sharing conflicts but not in all cases.

Is the USB card at the latest firmware and driver levels?

Is the firewire card at the latest fireware and driver levels?

Be sure that the operating system is running the latest service pack and check the HP/Compaq support site for path and bios updates.

Remove the firewire card and then try the USB card in differnet slots and see if you have the same issue.  Post your results.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.