Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-267C
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Update 1903 failed to install with error 0X8007042B  0X2000D "The installation failed in SAFE_OS phase with error during MIGRATE_DATA operation."  I have tried DISM, SFC and removed the antivirus, could use some help with this one.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Finally solved this dilemma.

Performed a clean boot, then reinstalled 1809 update, followed immediately by the 1903 update and all is good.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Check this Microsoft site (Link) for a possible solution. the secondary 0X2000D identifier in your error versus the site error 0X4000D identifier only changes where the error is happening. Your error is the SAFE_OS phase, the linked error example is happening in the OOBE_BOOT phase

It looks like you have a file, application, or driver that can't be migrated during the SAFE_OS phase. You would have to check the logs, find the issue, and remove it.

I would suggest to only connect a monitor, keyboard, and mouse during the upgrade or clean installation.

Added thoughts:

Usually WIFI and Bluetooth devices and drivers can cause update problems.

It could even be a printer driver.

Regards

HP Recommended

Finally solved this dilemma.

Performed a clean boot, then reinstalled 1809 update, followed immediately by the 1903 update and all is good.

HP Recommended

Hi Geodane,

Thanks for the reply.

Just wanted to know it worked.

Regards

HP Recommended

Installed Windows 1903 on HP pavilion laptop and now it won't boot up. I did a hard reboot with no change. What next?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.